GRIT TV on Channel 217

ohioankev

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
For fans of westerns, it looks like dish added a western channel GRIT TV on channel 217. I just noticed this flipping through channels. It's in SD only and of course more than likely this channel can vanish at anytime as it's in one of those "we pay dish to carry us" channel spots.

Reactions: Tampa8
This is a male oriented channel that is a good replacement for Esquire. The difference is Dish gets paid to carry GRIT, but had to pay to carry Esquire. It is owned by the people who gave you LAFF, Bounce, and Escape. The last two are carried on subchannels of local stations.

This is a male oriented channel that is a good replacement for Esquire. The difference is Dish gets paid to carry GRIT, but had to pay to carry Esquire. It is owned by the people who gave you LAFF, Bounce, and Escape. The last two are carried on subchannels of local stations.

They are all carried on local OTA subchannels. Nothing new for Tulsa viewers as we already have Grit and LAFF as subchannels along with Bounce and Escape.

Reactions: TheKrell
They are all carried on local OTA subchannels. Nothing new for Tulsa viewers as we already have Grit and LAFF as subchannels along with Bounce and Escape.
That's good for Tulsa viewers that have an antenna, it's better for those Tulsa viewers that don't...

Reactions: bobvick
We get just about all of them here too. But it's a nice addition just as ohioankev said for those who like Westerns and don't already get it.
But one more thing - in my market that channel has no guide info on DISH OTA so now I get the guide info on 217 if I want to still use the OTA tuner to watch.
The only channel I miss dropping from Top 250 to 200 is the Encore Western Channel and Grit along with a couple of others are good substitutions. (Check out - of all things - the Religious Inspiration channel also on weekends channel 259 for Westerns)

Reactions: pattykay
Nice add as they drop Esquire. It does hurt to watch SD these days, LOL! And yeah, if you've created a favorites list and left out the religious channel Inspiration, be aware that at times it shows a lot of old classic TV shows.

We get just about all of them here too. But it's a nice addition just as ohioankev said for those who like Westerns and don't already get it.
But one more thing - in my market that channel has no guide info on DISH OTA so now I get the guide info on 217 if I want to still use the OTA tuner to watch.
The only channel I miss dropping from Top 250 to 200 is the Encore Western Channel and Grit along with a couple of others are good substitutions. (Check out - of all things - the Religious Inspiration channel also on weekends channel 259 for Westerns)

You stole my thunder. I was going to say the same thing about Laff.

Reactions: Tampa8
For fans of westerns, it looks like dish added a western channel GRIT TV on channel 217. I just noticed this flipping through channels. It's in SD only and of course more than likely this channel can vanish at anytime as it's in one of those "we pay dish to carry us" channel spots.
Channel 217 is definitely a cursed channel slot. Over the last couple of years, it has been Ion West, BUZZ, WHT, WHF, GIFT, FIT, and now, GRIT. It seems like Dish cannot find anything to go on that channel number long-term. Hopefully, GRIT will break that curse!

Reactions: trojan67

Any talk of Dish carrying other subchannels like Comet, The Country Network or Heartland TV?

As I remember Sinclair tried to slide Comet into the retrans deal they negotiated with dish last year but that got shot down. That said there's nothing that should stop Sinclair from getting a separate carriage deal for that channel. Work that into a carriage deal with Tennis (they also own that now), problem solved.

BTW: Seattle's a Comet Market. KOMO/4 clears it for obvious reasons (co-owned).

I got tired of Dish not carrying the guide for sub channels and Dish selling out on commercial skip, so I bought a TiVo OTA DVR with guide included. I get all the guides for the 9 sub channels that I like. Also, the TiVo does a better job of skipping commercials with one push of one button. The program always starts right after the commercial break. Like Dish I do not get 30 seconds of commercials on both ends. For cable viewers the TiVo commercial skip works on 20 channels, not just the four nets or I guess 1 net(NBC) left. I keep Dish and the Welcome pack for the cable channels that I want. The money that I am saving on Dish paid for the TiVo in less than 9 months.

I got tired of Dish not carrying the guide for sub channels and Dish selling out on commercial skip, so I bought a TiVo OTA DVR with guide included. I get all the guides for the 9 sub channels that I like. Also, the TiVo does a better job of skipping commercials with one push of one button. The program always starts right after the commercial break. Like Dish I do not get 30 seconds of commercials on both ends. For cable viewers the TiVo commercial skip works on 20 channels, not just the four nets or I guess 1 net(NBC) left. I keep Dish and the Welcome pack for the cable channels that I want. The money that I am saving on Dish paid for the TiVo in less than 9 months.

I keep a Windows 7 PC with Windows Media Center connected to my antenna to achieve the guide data. I agree that lack of guide data on Dish can be frustrating

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I also added a TIVO OTA Lifetime on a great Amazon deal sometime ago. The skip feature indeed is terrific and I get the guide info for just about all the channels/sub channels I receive which here is alot. But when I want to be sure I get a program recorded I still turn to Satellite locals. TIVO has missed a recording here and there ever since the Guide change and I have one Network that every once in awhile loses the signal briefly. Can't remember the last time my 612's missed a recording.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts