Ground Mount-Pipe Diameter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JWC

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 16, 2005
I have dish comming in a few days and I know already that they are going to want to mount the dish on the roof. I want it on the ground. What size pipe (O.D.) will the ground mounted dish fit on. I have adequate views of both the eastern arc and the western satellites.
Thanks

The closest pipe size is 1-1/4" at 1.66" OD.

Typically what is used instead is 1-5/8" OD "line post" used with chain link fencing. Heavier gauge (smaller number) is better.

The closest pipe size is 1-1/4" at 1.66" OD.

Typically what is used instead is 1-5/8" OD "line post" used with chain link fencing. Heavier gauge (smaller number) is better.

i used the 1-5/8 chain link fence post as stated above. was about $7 at Lowes.

-when i installed mine, i dug the hole and dropped half of a concrete block into the bottom.
-then i put the post in the hole and filled it in while keeping it plumb with a level. tamp the fill with a 2x4 as you fill it up.
-i bought an additional bracket that is used to connect the fence to the post. not sure exactly what it was called or what it is actually supposed to do, but it was just a strap with a bolt in it to tighten to the post. this strap i put on the post so that it will be buried in the concrete in the next step. (figure out where it is going to have to be and install it before you put the post in the hole as it was difficult to get on and you will probably unplumb your post while you are wrestling with it) the purpose was to keep the post from turning once it is in the hole.
-when you are a little less than a foot from ground level, stop filling and mix up a bag of sakrete. pour the wet concrete around the post to about 6" thick and whatever diameter your hole is. mine was about a foot.
-finish filling with dirt to ground level.

the concrete at the top of the hole helps stabilize the pole. mine doesn't move at all.
I can’t remember how long the post is, but I have 50” above grade.

I was thinking this would be a temporary installation and move it to the garage roof later, but it is so solid, I think I will leave it.
Good luck.
bruce

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)