Ground My New Slimline How?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Macwarrior

Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Hi all,

In the great wisdom of DTV tech support I was told to attach the copper grounding wire to the Slimline and lay the copper wire on the roof and run it to the ground. :eek: Say What?

Forgive me, I am not an electrician, but won't the roof blow up? OK, maybe not blow up, but catch fire or something if the copper wire is laying on the roof & it takes a strike and follows it to the ground like it's suppose to?

I have grounding rods close to the dish. But I do need to get it down the roof (pitched) and down the side. I don't trust DTV installers since my current dish has a 14 gauge wire about 6 inches long attached to the grounding screw laying on my roof.

Should I use standoffs? Or I was thinking about :eureka running the ground wire through a 1/2" PVC pipe down the back side of the roof. Of course, tastefully spray painted the same color of the roof. Will this work?:confused:

Or am I way off base here? What should I do? :confused:

Thanks,

MacWarrior

Hi all,

In the great wisdom of DTV tech support I was told to attach the copper grounding wire to the Slimline and lay the copper wire on the roof and run it to the ground. :eek: Say What?

Forgive me, I am not an electrician, but won't the roof blow up? OK, maybe not blow up, but catch fire or something if the copper wire is laying on the roof & it takes a strike and follows it to the ground like it's suppose to?

I have grounding rods close to the dish. But I do need to get it down the roof (pitched) and down the side. I don't trust DTV installers since my current dish has a 14 gauge wire about 6 inches long attached to the grounding screw laying on my roof.

Should I use standoffs? Or I was thinking about :eureka running the ground wire through a 1/2" PVC pipe down the back side of the roof. Of course, tastefully spray painted the same color of the roof. Will this work?:confused:

Or am I way off base here? What should I do? :confused:

Thanks,

MacWarrior

Hate to bust your bubble, but if your dish takes a lightning strike, the 10 ga. wire that is connected won't do squat. I don't care how big of a wire you run, your house will still sustain damage. The purpose of grounding is to give static electricity a path to safely discharge, not to divert 1.21 gigawatts of electricty :)p) from the lightning.

Hate to bust your bubble, but if your dish takes a lightning strike, the 10 ga. wire that is connected won't do squat. I don't care how big of a wire you run, your house will still sustain damage. The purpose of grounding is to give static electricity a path to safely discharge, not to divert 1.21 gigawatts of electricty :)p) from the lightning.

ALL I can say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I have tears running down my face LOL!!!!!!!!

Yeah: 5 gauge, 6 gauge, what ever it takes. ;)

1.21 GIGAWATTS? :yikes

OK, like I said, I'm not an electrician. But like the blind man said - Ahhhh, now I see. So it doesn't matter. :clap

Things that make you go huummmm.

MacWarrior

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)