Ground or Roof?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TimeHorse

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Which is better? When we bought the house, we had at the front, left corner a dish on the ground attached to the foundation with a steel rod, a dish on the roof above it and a DirectWay dish at the back left corner mounted on a steel pole. We replaced the roof dish with a Triple LNB dish and removed the ground one and the DirectWay dish.

Now I am thinking of re-arranging the dishes since I am putting in the 75cm StarChoice dish. I was thinking of putting the 75cm StarChoice dish on the old DirectWay pole if it can get a line-of-site from there, otherwise installing it on the roof. Further, I was thinking of moving the DirecTV receiver down to the foundation-mounting, as I believe if I can get a line of site there, it should be quite a bit more stable and easier to maintian -- at least I could brush off the snow without getting a ladder as right now I've got no signal. :(

BTW, what's the general consensus on dish covers? I'm not sure if there is a cover shaped for the 75cm StarChoice but if I could find one, would it help or generally hinder reception?

Thanks again as you all have been EXTREMELY helpful for that Sat-newbie!

I never understood when people wanted their dish installed on their roof if LOS was available lower. I mean the customers I had that said "I was told reception is better on the roof" floored me. I had 3 canned replies.

1- I took out a calculator and explained that the satellite was over 23,000 miles above the equator, what percentage of 23,000 miles is 30 feet?

2- When the roof and dish are covered with snow and ice and you have no signal the only ways to clear off the dish are with a firetruck or hanging from a rope below a helicopter, could they rent a helicopter if they need that service in winter?

3- "What are those steel poles on top of barns called?", and "So you're asking me to put a lighting rod on your roof?!"

About 85% would figure it out at that point, the other 15% were just retarded.

LOL!

Yeah, and since most elevation are at 30* + some basic Trig says that all you need is a singe foot (or meter) of distance from an obstruction for every 1.7 feet (or 1.7 meters) of height you need to overcome.

You know, I wish you were my installer the first time!

Here is my stupid nubie experience from 2 years ago:

Me: "So why would people want to put their dish on the ground anyway?"
Installer: "I dunno."

Live and learn!

TimeHorse said:
Yeah, and since most elevation are at 30* + some basic Trig says that all you need is a singe foot (or meter) of distance from an obstruction for every 1.7 feet (or 1.7 meters) of height you need to overcome.

Oops, that should read, a single foot (or meter) of the height of an obstruction requires only 1.7 feet (or meters) of distance to overcome.

At 60* Elevation, you need only 1 foot distance for every 1.7 feet of height.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts