Ground pole and mount

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sasquatch04

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Great white north
Good evening,,,

I am finally getting to setting up my Zenith 10 fy BUD,,,,but I have a little problem,,,,,The guy I bought the dish from mentioned that the original owner had misplaced one part,,,,Now I just found out I guess that I am missing the mount cap,,,,,As you will notice from my pics,,,,I could not possibly mount this set up as is,otherwise my mount could not rotate so I can tweak the dish,,,,I would need to have a welder make some kind of mount cap so the mount would sit on the pole,,,,If anyone has an idea or even pics it would be greatly appreciated,,,,

I live in a high wind area

Cheers,,,,

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    312.2 KB · Views: 177
Where are you located? I have two mounts in my junk pile, but they are both pole mounts and I'm not sure if you could use anything on yours.

Are you sure your missing parts, after looking at mind and then your mount I can't see anything missing, you should be able to bolt it to the pole unless it something to hold the actuator, but that looks good also.

Attachments

• img148.jpg
    img148.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 130
  • img144.jpg
    img144.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 122
  • img145.jpg
    img145.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
After sleeping on it last night I now see what your talking about, here's what I would do to fix the problem. And I thing it might be cheaper than having a plate made up.

1) cut the bottom off the pipe
2) take the measurements and bottom pipe to a pipe supplier and get a 5 foot or longer section to act as a outside sleeve for the other pipe and will allow it to move. Add some steel to the bottom sides of the new section to stop any rotation.
3) install the old pipe into the sleeve and put the new section in a deeper hole than normal and concrete it in.
4) once everything is lined up then weld the two pipes together. The other option is to have someone put holes in the new section and weld 6 each 1/2 "nuts to the new pipe so you can tighten it down like a pole mounted system.

Hope this helps.........

Hi Sergei !!! Good to see you again,,,,,I was actually going to put up the BUD last year but then my work got really busy and when it finally slowed down,,,it was November and the frost had already started so I could not dig the hole in the ground,,,,,Felt awful to dismantle the dish to keep in in the shed for the winter,,,,

Ya I think the easiest way would be to use a sleeve with bolts,,,,,since I finished pouring the cement in the foundation yesterday afternoon,,,,,,

I come from Northern Canada,,,,,and that is the reason I made the foundation this way so if the frost should move something,,,all I have to do is adjust the bolts on the foot of the base,,,,,

Will visit the welding shop with the idea you gave me

I am taking pics of the step by step install and post them here later

Have a great one !!!!!

Cheers,,,,

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    333.8 KB · Views: 143
Just to give you another option, I when out and removed the center section from the Zenith mount. It takes an inside pipe of 4" and outside 4 1/2 " with a depth of 8" for a pipe ( the Winegard is longer, but pipe is rust in ). Only takes two bolts to remove so if you want it let me know and the only cost would be shipping cost to you.

Also watch out for the hornets, they like the open channel on the mount to build their nests.

Tks sergei,,,,I went to the welding shop this PM and he actually came up with a great idea,,,,he will cut the pole in half and weld 4 channels on a 1/2 " plate so the pole can rotate abt 180 degrees,,,,,I know we do not need to rotate that much but it will work great,,,only thing is it will be ready by the end of next week,,,bummer

One thing I do not have for certain is the 4 brackets that holds the dish to the mount,,,,,,do you still have yours?,,,,

I just finished taking the mount apart,,,,,is it better to oil or grease before putting it back together ?,,,,counting for the fact that we have rough winters around here

Cheers,,,

Well, I've got good news and bad news on the brackets, If you had said something earlier I would have had the four for you but I needed brackets to mount a set of speakers yesterday on my tractor and I used four of them to make the two mount . Now I do have three more and I'm still looking for the fourth, two are in great shape, the third may need more straighting. At least you could use one as a template and have one or two made for you. Check out the picture which does show the mounted bracket.

Attachments

• img134.jpg
    img134.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 114
  • img281.jpg
    img281.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 96
  • img282.jpg
    img282.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 104
  • img283.jpg
    img283.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 103
One thing I do not have for certain is the 4 brackets that holds the dish to the mount said:
OK, found the fourth bracket, so I have all four, and this one is also in good shape.
As far oil or grease I would only use Lithium grease on the moving areas, any bolts
if you got them should be stainless steel and not need anything.

Great !,,,Last evening I took the mount apart cleaned and greased the moving parts,,,all of the nuts and bolts I am replacing with stainless for sure,,,,,brought the Pole this PM to the shop for them to modify,they will cut the pole and add some flanges with 1/2" bolts,,,will work great,,,,,tonight when I get back home from work,will remove the wooden beams I used for the foundation,,,,

One quick question,,,,,My LNB is a Geosat CK1 C/Ku,,,,I understand the Chapparal Corotor II is much better,,,,but my fd ratio beeing .278,,,from the specs I was reading from Chaparral they recommend an fd ratio from.32 to .45

Did you ever try yr old Zenith (Winegard) with the corotor II ??

Cheers,,,,

No, I never installed either of the dishes since I already had four up and I used the Chaparral Corotor II that was on the Zenith on another dish. In my setup it's easy for me to take my small TV from the outside shop and set the fd for the best signal on any of my dishes. I can't advise you on the Geosat since I've never had or talked with anyone about one, maybe someone else on the forum can help here. I guess the question is are you going with C-band programming alone or FTA or both that I'm sure will make a big different.

I am planning for both C/Ku,,I will give the Geosat a try and will see,,,,

I heard from a member that he was using a Geosat and when he gave a try to the Chaparral corotor II,,he never looked back,,,

Thank you so much sergei !!!!!,,,,will confirm with you once received ,,,,,,

Just finished painting the mount today,,,,all I have left to do is run the wires in the ground then into the house,,,,The pole will be ready next week

Assemble the dish which I finished painting last year,,,,put the brackets,,,and ready to go,,,,,I am so excited,,,I feel like a 10 yr old kid again !!!

Tks again sergei !!!!!!

Cheers,,,

Attachments

• 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    321.1 KB · Views: 136
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts