Ground

Foyd Zimmerman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
I recently had a SW 44 installed along with a 211 receiver. I was wondering how important is it to have the switch grounded? I'm having a signal loss on the 129 satellite. It will load to a 75 ss and will gradually drop into the 30 ss. E tells me the 129 satellite is working fine. Would the fact that the 44 sw isn't grounded have any effect on the loss of the signal? Please reply.
Floyd

It's a bit nitpicky, but the switch is actually called a DPP 44 switch. As to actually grounding the switch...that's another issue. Some others will chime in on the subject, but install guidelines state you can NOT ground the switch. Grounding is to occur at a groundblock.

Your signal fluctuation has nothing to do with grounding. Not that it helps your current situation. There are numerous other threads discussing the trials and woes of the 129 bird. It's especially a problem in the Pacific Northwest. The CSR you spoke to probably isn't even aware of the situation. Turnover and overall lack of CSR education is what I suspect is the problem.

MY DP34 switch has a grounding connection built into the switch. The DP44 should also, doesn't it. Go to Lowe's and buy a copper rod and some copper wire. Not too expensive. Drive the rod down into the ground, clamp the wire to it and hook it to the switch. Or just hook a piece of copper wire to a close metal water pipe.

Just cause I post this in pretty much every thread about grounding:
email from dish said:
Thank you for your recent email.

Hopefully this helps and gives you some information.

A multi-dish switch can NOT take the place of a ground block. The following instructions apply to a ground block only.

You may want to install the ground block onto the side of the building, or on some other sturdy structure near the satellite dish. Make sure that the location is stable, and that you fasten the ground block tightly to the surface. As stated in Article 820-40 of the National Electrical Code (NEC), locate the ground block as close as possible to the power entry ground.

Mount the ground block so that its connections are horizontal. This helps keep moisture from leaking into the block. Using the shortest path possible, run the coaxial cable(s) from the LNBF(s) to the input(s) on the ground block.

Put a drip loop in each cable to allow moisture to drip from the cable before it runs into the ground block.

Run the ground wire to the power entry ground of the building in accordance with the National Electrical Code (NEC) and all local electrical codes.
A ground wire must always be a single piece of wire. Never splice two wires together for a ground. Corrosion and weathering can lead to a poor connection at the splice, making the ground ineffective and dangerous. If you cut the ground wire too short, replace it with a single wire cut to the correct length.

Thank you,
xxxxxxxxx

Executive Office of Dish Network

Direct:720-514-xxxx

Email: xx@echostar.com

It has a grounding "connector" because it is likely made off shore where they like to add all sorts of comforting logos (like UL approved) and are quite use to counterfiting similar devices down to the copyright and patent number. Just joking of course. Really, most electrical and electronic devices these days have the case at ground neutral...that is, there is no electrical connection between the power supply and the case. In the case (no pun intended) of the DPP44, the Type F connectors are indeed fastened (grounded if you wish) to the case, but that is the extent of a convenient situation. On my DPP-44 the installer did run a wire to the ground block.

When the DP34 and DPP44 first came out, the DNS literature actually stated it was up the NEC specs to ground the switches on the prongs. Apparently they aren't U/L certified. Hence the rationale for DNS to use a separate groundblock.

webbydude said:
When the DP34 and DPP44 first came out, the DNS literature actually stated it was up the NEC specs to ground the switches on the prongs. Apparently they aren't U/L certified. Hence the rationale for DNS to use a separate groundblock.
Yeah, I know for a fact there are at least two different versions of the DPP44 manual around, one states to use it for grounding and one has that page removed. The revision numbers on the manuals never changed though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)