This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Grounding and other questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.
CC is available on most network programming, but not usually present on live event backhauls. What channels specifically are you interested in CC? We can check if it has CC. MicroHD is the only consumer DVBS2 STB with CC. So if CC is necessary, it narrows your options!

I wouldn't ask anyone to bother with looking all the following up...just any idea if there is enough closed captioning to make the MicroHD worthwhile. I'm not interested in live feeds...I don't think.The wife has limited English and she is happier if she has captions when the audio is in English. Channels of interest for her would be most any non-religious Spanish channels especially Univision.BUT she doesn't need captioning for these.
I'd like such as: Pursuit,My Combat,Retro,Tuff,My Family,Heartland,FGO,My Network Tv,Heroes and Icons,Movies,AMG,Justice Network,Escape,Bounce,Grit,Cozi,Public TV stations,Ion,Reelz,Outside TV,KOFY,,plus ABC,CBS,FOX,etc.I get more tv time if she can read the captioning and knows what is going on. Or I can miss half the program explaining what just happened to her.lol

Personally,I find CC distracting...but when momma ain't happy,ain't nooooobody happy!

We receive only 5 viewable sub-channels OTA. NBC, MeTV, and 3 Public tv subs. So even a few of the above will be welcome.

I'm really impressed with this site.Everyone seems to willingly help others in need.

I'll start ordering some equipment soon.Still have a good week of landscaping to do first.Also need Miss Utility to do a site survey before I auger the hole for the dish.(I cut the neighbor's dsl/phone line when installing a driveway culvert last fall.(Not fun).

Thanks !

Reactions: N6BY
Not all programming on these channel have CC, but on a quick look at what is on now, I can confirm CC is transmitted on these channels from your list: Retro, Tuff, FGO, Justice, Escape, Bounce, Movies, Heroes, PBS, Ion, Reelz, ABC, NBC.

This is definitely a partial list of all channels offering CC. Most channels distributed for broadcast will have CC. Hope this helps!

Welcome to SatGuys, Armidillo_115!

Throughout the arc there is a lot of Spanish stations, your wife should be able to find quite a bit to watch.

The MicroHD is a great receiver! Mine has been a work-horse for 3 years now.

Let me warn you of one VERY important thing/bug though: Do NOT EVER delete a satellite complete from the satellite list, unless you have FIRST deleted any scanned-in channels! If you do, the receiver will go into a boot-loop, and you'll either have to send it back to be fixed, or purchase a TTL serial cable to reload the firmware yourself.

Don't let this warning discourage you from buying one though. I myself have never boot-looped mine, it's used daily, and as long as you follow the above, it's unlikely to happen to you either.

I found an old time C band installer 7 miles from me.He's into the small dish stuff now but he has some new old-stock dual ribbon cable that he'll sell me for 50 cents a foot.I didn't get any specs on it.Is it safe to assume that if it worked BITD,then I'll will work on a modern FTA setup? He said he used it for many installs without any problems. ( He also said that copper clad rg6 was just fine...so I had a few qualms)

This will be cheaper than buying rg6 and sprinkler wire.Plus I will have the spare coax for future use.

BTW...his younger assistant asked me: "Is there still anything on C Band?" lol

Score!! On both the installer and the ribbon cable.

As long as it is RG6 (not RG 59) and stored inside out of the heat and moisture, I would buy as much as he has and sell off the remainder. It is becoming very scarce!

BIG score buy the lot!!

I live in Belize ,Central America. I have a 6 foot mesh move-able dish,X2 Premium Mini HD and III HD receiver, I have used C1W-PLL, BSC421 AND ESX242. Out of the three Lnb's the ESX242 works the best and I can get most all the transponders with a good lock. BSC421 is next with less locks and C1W-pll is last. I get channels that many say they have problems with , I have found that some receivers do not have as sensitive tuners and the choose of LNBF makes a big differance.

Thanks for all the advice to date! I have about decided to go against recommendations concerning a single output lnbf though.(Apologies ) A C2W-PLL Wideband C-band LNBF Dual is needed for domestic tranquility. (Pole isn't even planted yet and mama is already claiming the remote.lol) Hopefully a dual output will still receive the programming we need.

Is this setup workable? Ribbon cable above ground to start. Only ONE output from C2W-PLL to Geosatpro micro hd in the beginning.Will add second receiver asap. Fixed Satellite to start: will test old actuator and add motor control as time/money permits.

The Geosatpro micro hd controls its own polarity,correct?

The second receiver (bedroom) will be setup WITHOUT motor control. Second receiver requires additional polarity control wires,correct? My end goal is to be able to spin dish to a satellite/channel that makes mama happy,then papa can watch something else on the same satellite.Spanish soap operas ain't my cup of tea.

Found a free piece of 3+1/2" schedule 40 to extend the old pole. The original 3" pipe will be overlapped about 4 ft and welded.Should be strong enough. Telephone company has marked the underground cables and my planned dish location is good. I hope to start digging the hole by the first of the week.Asthma and allergies are dragging out the process.

FWIW: The original pipe was not cement filled.It was badly rusted at ground level and down into the cement base.It would not have lasted many more years before breaking.Might be wise for everyone to check the integrity of any old steel poles.Just my 2 cents.Thanks and have a good day!

Reactions: Titanium
The dual output LNBF should not be an issue as far as reception is concerned.

The setup you described should be workable.

Yes, microHD will control the polarity of your LNBF...single or dual output.

You don't need ANY polarity control wiring with an LNBF, the receiver selects polarity with voltage change.

Oh yeah...now I feel stupid.Polarity is changed thru the coax cables.Low oxygen level has me fuzzy headed,sorry.

I'll be ordering the C2W-PLL from Titanium Satellite soon.I'd prefer to order the Geosatpro Hd from a fellow SatelitteGuys member. I hope it is ok to ask : Who here carries the Geosatpro hd? Pm the info if preferred.

I believe in customer loyalty first to members here that have helped me.(And I have been helped by members without their knowledge...I had read back into the archive about 200 pages already.This is a great resource amid the crap info that can be found while googling.Thanks all.

Here he is on Ebay. I'll bet if you make him an offer of $99.00, he might take it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/microHD-GEO...241?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1a591c69

My MicroHd receiver is a workhorse. I use it every day, and record quite a bit. I like that you can mark recordings when you can't finish them, and the 30 second jump for commercials. It also is the ONLY fta receiver that has Closed Captioning capability.

Pole is up and mudded in. After adding gravel in the bottom and rebar, it took 14 - 80lb bags of concrete.The pole will take an additional 4 bags to fill.I used ratcheting cargo straps from 4 directions to keep it plumb.(Plan to leave straps on until Monday) I'll backfill 4" to 6" of topsoil around the pole as I landscape.

The concrete supplier said to wait a week or more to mount the dish.Does that sound excessive to y'all? Heck...footers for houses ain't usually cured that long around here. I'm getting impatient to have my system working.lol

My pole has a removable extension on top.Without it the pole is about 4 feet tall.Is that high enough for a 7+1/2 foot dish?
Got to run...later gators!

we used 4.5 ft (above ground) here BITD. The 10 footers would just almost barely barely touch down when the actuator was removed and the polar mount was rotated to one extreme end. Bottom lip around 18 inches off the ground when aimed south.
You should be good if the center of the dish is above the pole when on the mount. Your dish will be looking higher when aimed south so you should have more clearance. But only putting it up will confirm.
Around here, home footings only get 48 hrs before the blocks are stacked.

Status
Please reply by conversation.