Grounding Post?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Just a thought, can I ground my Primestar Dish using the ground or messenger wire that is attached to the RG-6 I am running? And while on grounding, I guess I have not grounded my Fortec 31" dish yet. I have the coax grounded, but not the dish. I assume the dishes do need to be grounded?

iafirebuff said:
Just a thought, can I ground my Primestar Dish using the ground or messenger wire that is attached to the RG-6 I am running? And while on grounding, I guess I have not grounded my Fortec 31" dish yet. I have the coax grounded, but not the dish. I assume the dishes do need to be grounded?
Absolutely. Dish needs grounding.

The pole needs to be grounded according to the National Electrical code to the service ground including the shield on the wire.
Reinhold. Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra 120cm fortec star dish HH120 motor.

That was one of the first things I got at radio shack (cheap). If you look at all the "Professional" installs, they all use a grounding block.

gabe33 said:
That was one of the first things I got at radio shack (cheap). If you look at all the "Professional" installs, they all use a grounding block.

Not in these parts! Around 80% of installs that I see are NOT grounded to local AND NEC code!

Its a MUST!

I had DTV installed a few years back(nolonger have it) and the "professional installer" did not ground the dish or the wire.Some professionals are not.
Being a retired electrician I knew what to do about it.
Reinhold. Lifetime Ultra HH120 motor 120cm Fortec Star dish.

I suppose you could ground the mount? I overlooked grounding my Fortec dish, and remembered it while setting up my Primestar dish. All of the Directv and Dish Networks in my neighborhood are not grounded - except mine, as I self installed it years ago.

As long as the pole is grounded to local and NEC code all should be well as the pole is clamped (bonded) to the mount!

No need to worry about a fibreglass dish since it does not conduct electricity.Just the pole and wire like Pet said.

Reinhold.

Interesting about ground.. Do I need it? I haven't hooked up for ground yet.. Since I am living in Sacramento, California which rarely getting thunderstorm here.. During summertime to earlier fall, never rains..! :) Let me know do I really need to have ground regardless to the weather?

Thanks!

Much more to it than lightening, and it can actually help your signal quality! (Some claim)

It really is a MUST, especially if you have expensive equipment and there is ANY chance that anyone could come into contact with the metal dish/mount.

http://dbsinstall.com/whatis/Whatisgood-5.htm

Last edited:
Besides the logic of it:it is code which meens its the law.
Also grounding the shield on the wire will cut out external interference.
Reinhold.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)