Grounding question

andyg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Guys,

I have dish 1000+ with dpp44 switch. I have a grounding block along the cable, but the problem is that it is past the switch (I added the switch just the other day). So, how would I ground it now because at the switch the cable "splits" basically, so there is no straightforward way for me to run the grounding wire.

I was thinking that maybe I could ground it from the dish to the switch and from the switch to the grounding block (cause it looks like there is some kind of a screw on the switch that might be used for grounding, but I was not sure). Or would grounding through the switch kill my switch basically? Is there some kind of diagram maybe somewhere how to ground bypassing the switch or something?

thanks

DPP 44 switch is UL approved as a ground. However, if you have an previous generation of the DPP switch (silver not the dull grey the newer generation is painted), then you will have in install a quad groundblock. This will properly ground your system. Look at the color of your switch and weather it has the UL listing.

how important is it to be grounded? Neither of my 2 Satellites were grounded by the installer and neither of them have a drip loop...

There are two reasons why it is important to properly ground a system. The first is safety from high voltage surges and the second is protection from static charges.

High voltage surges can be caused by electrical storms or contact with high voltage lines. Static charges can be caused by wind blowing across the dish face. Without proper grounded, static charges can follow the coax back to the receiver, causing signal distortion or equipment damage.

so if the line goes directly from my 1000.4 to the receiver then it's not grounded correct? (no built in ground or what not?)

I guess I'll have to find time to wait on a 4 hour service window to have them do it

so if the line goes directly from my 1000.4 to the receiver then it's not grounded correct? (no built in ground or what not?)

I guess I'll have to find time to wait on a 4 hour service window to have them do it
if there is no ground block between your dish and receiver it is not properly grounded.
the dish it self should also be grounded, usually with a "messenger" cable ( a second ground wire attached to the coax) and connected to ground block and grounding source.

DPP 44 switch is UL approved as a ground. However, if you have an previous generation of the DPP switch (silver not the dull grey the newer generation is painted), then you will have in install a quad groundblock. This will properly ground your system. Look at the color of your switch and weather it has the UL listing.

OK, I checked.; My DPP44 switch is some kind of dark grey color on the sides and lighter color in the middle. It also says UL on it. So, that means I have a new version and can use for the grounding?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)