Grounding

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Brabo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'm confused about grounding my equipment. I bought 50' of coax with the attached grounding wire and a grounding block. Where and how do you attach the grounding wire on the dish. None of my LNBs have a place for a grounding wire, so I'm assuming it should go somewhere on the hardware for the mount or dish. Too, I thought to ground to my plumbing, but the instructions on the box of coax said not to bring grounding wire inside the house. Thanks

Are you talking about a ground to protect from lightning? If so, I have two ground wires, I hooked them on to frame where the bolts run through the dish. One goes about 5 feet and is hooked to a 6ft copper rod that is driven all the way into the ground and the other one runs about 25ft and hooks on to the utility ground. Have had pretty good luck so far, knock on wood!!!!!!!!

Diamond Jim said:
Are you talking about a ground to protect from lightning

Yes, I'm putting my dish on the roof so it will be the highest thing around and lightning is not our friend. So we don't have to worry about the cable run, just the hardware. If you ground the equipment your way, do you really need a ground block?

Brabo said:
If you ground the equipment your way, do you really need a ground block?

You got me there. When you say ground block I assume you mean on the equipment, right. I always thought if you ran a wire to the ground that the lightning will travel though the wire to the ground before it goes any where else. If I am wrong, someone please let me know.

Well here is what i did..hopefully it's right. I have the coax running from my dish to a grounding block, screw it in, run a nother piece of coax from the grounding block to my receiver. Then I ran a grounding wire from my dish to my grounding block, and on to the central grounding point of my house. That way the coax is grounded as well as the dish...both attached to the grounding block and the grounding block attached to my central ground.

Diamond Jim, Dfergie's links to old posts made it pretty clear for me. The Electric Code references helped too. The grounding block is just a neat clean way to achieve a good ground. It sounds like your set up is done well enough, except that according to the electric code and the potential voltages involved, a ground rod may not be enough and depends on soil types. I figure if lightining strikes close enough to my setup my equipment is probably toast anyway and I'll have bigger problems, but I'd like to do it as close to code as possible. Thanks for the help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts