HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Group takes offense to new Dish ads

By Kimberly S. Johnson
Denver Post Staff Writer

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_2974452

A watchdog group says Echo Star's latest Dish Network television commercials suck - or, actually, shouldn't.

The American Family Association is asking members and others to send letters to the Douglas County-based satellite-TV provider that voice dissatisfaction over Dish Network commercials using the word "sucks" to describe cable TV. They say the commercials teach children to use offensive language.

"Kids start to pick up this type of crude language," said Randy Sharp, special-projects director for the group. "Certainly there are much better ways for (Dish Network) to promote their product."

The Mississippi-based organization said nearly 18,000 people have used a form on its website to send e-mails to EchoStar.

The ads are not intended to be vulgar, said EchoStar spokesman Steve Caulk. Focus-group participants told the company they understood the colloquialism as a way of describing disgruntlement with cable TV.

EchoStar uses variations of the phrase "My TV sucks," in its latest print, radio and TV ads. In one of two commercials now airing, for example, two couples are eating dinner. The visiting woman comments about a breeze in the room. The homeowner replies, "Oh, it's my TV. It sucks."

EchoStar is known for its edgy ads. Last year's "greedy pigs" campaign featured a pig dressed in a cable company's sweater that destroyed a house.

"We got calls from people who didn't like seeing a pig in that context," Caulk said. "We also got calls from people who said they loved the ads, and the same is true of this campaign."

While Sharp said he doesn't consider the word "sucks" a swear word, he likens it to other words he finds inappropriate, such as "dang" and "fart."

Although one branding expert said the letter-writing campaign "borders on the ridiculous and absurd," an industry analyst warned EchoStar not to alienate its family-oriented customers. "The value-conscious, the more rural, that's an audience they've done well with," said Bruce Leichtman, president of Leichtman Research Group. "When you're being that aggressive with the message, you walk a tightrope." Staff writer Kimberly S. Johnson can be reached at 303-820-1088 or kjohnson@denverpost.com.

The problem is, these under-30 ad writers sit around thinking up slogans, and "sucks" doesn't register as offensive to them. So they congratulate themselves on what a great campaign they've come up with.

Those of us over 50 have a different connotation for "sucks", besides the one in the ad. It seems like there should have been some broader demographic testing for this campaign. I don't think it would have ever gotten on the air if they had exposed it to a group of older customers.

No matter what you do, somebody will always be offended. The word suck isn't at all offensive IMO...it's not like you're saying sucks horse (bleep) or something of that nature. The ad campaign is merely stupid and childish. If being stupid and childish are vulgar, then you wouldn't believe how many of business and government leaders fall into that category. In fact, I have no doubt many our elected officials are watching SuckTV as I speak. :rolleyes:

I remember the Warner Bros. Loioney Tunes where Yosemite Sam would turn into a lollipop with the words SUCKER on it. It past muster back then in the 40s so I don't understand why the word is deemed so offensive today.

Much ado about nothing....

These days, the fact that there's a controversy gets a bunch of "free" publicity for Dish over this -- and there are those who believe that's worth whatever offense might be taken by the older demographic.

Oh no! "Sucks" is such a terrible word!! How could anyone say that on TV??? Give me a break, with the trashy programming on TV now ,children are much more prone to hear much worse words. What a joke.

I don't understand the concept of a "bad" word. You can call it doo-doo or poo-poo but if you step in it you'll still have sh*t on your shoes.

Mario

Now people are going out of there way to find offensive material.

You have to love this type of stuff, well ok, not really.

I'm glad that they have so much time on their hands that this is what they can do :rolleyes:

These are just people who have nothing better to do with their lives. It kind of looks like they need to get one to me. If they don't like it they can change the channel, and send money to one of their religious leaders. Who then go out with all the money they get from these people and get a real expensive "suck".

Iceberg said:
uh oh

since when is fart a bad word?

Maybe Dish could use this one in a commercial. Picture it a group of people sitting at the dinner table and everyone starts wrinkling their noses and starts looking at each other and suddenly a women at the table says accusselingly to the man : " Did you fart?" The man says " NO that's my tv ; it STINKS". Then the women says: " Oh my tv doesn't stink since we have Dishnetwork." It is about as good as " My Tv sucks. :rolleyes: "

The more controvery the more the dish network name gets mentioned on fox news,cnn etc!!! maybe thats why the chose to do this campaign !! (so charlie e can save on advertising!!)

Dave nye said:
If they don't like it they can change the channel, and send money to one of their religious leaders.

I find the idea of a religious leader suggesting that we should assassinate the elected leader of another country far more offensive than the word "suck."

Mario

Iceberg said:
uh oh

since when is fart a bad word?
I was actually suspended from third grade (1968 Catholic School) for calling someone a "farthead" :D :D
Tom in TX

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts