GRRR! what am I missing :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alvarez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Brownsburg, IN
Ok D* came out and ran new lines for my OTA antenna because the diplexers were conflicting the B-Band converters. I lost the power that went to the antenna... I hooked up an external power source and diplexed it outside (basically power out to sat in on diplexer ota into the in port of diplexer and the tv out to the receiver ant in's after a 2 port splitter) The external was a 24 volt power source which I posted in the thread asking if it was ok... I found online the sensars can take 12-24 and over distances the power fades so it shoulda been fine.

My signal after doing this and that whole night was 85% for a channel most in my area can't even get 10% on. (anyone in indiana can attest that 4-1 is not an easy channel to get)

As of this week the antenna acts like its not even powered. I have tryed different diplexers, switching the in port and the tv port on the diplexer, currently I have cascaded another multiswitch and am running out of one of the outs to the sat in on the diplexer to provide 12 volts of power.

I have tryed another identical sensar II amplified antenna, same exact results.

ARGH!!!! what am I missing? How could it go from 85% to nothing... (13-1 also has lost its amplification and is back down to 30% from 70% also)

anyone? PLEASE :(

I would measure with a voltmeter from the source to the antenna and verify the power is making it to the antenna through the various diplexers and or splitters. If the voltage is there, I would then contact the antenna manufacturer directly to verify both the voltage and type of power you are using is correct i.e. AC or DC.

I will run a volt meter on it but currently it is getting power from the sat input off of the multiswitch... (the old way it used to get power) Dunno why I didn't think about cascading a multiswitch to create more outputs and run a lead to it before but thought of it last night and ran it.

I put a meter on it and the ant is getting the 24 volt with the power pack or 15 with my other dc power source. I didn't test off the multiswitch because I unhooked all that stuff and am running with the 1 multiswitch D* installed. I think either it was too high and it flicked off and hopefully might come back when stable voltage is found... otherwise it burnt out :( weird thing is the other amplified ant was doing the same thing last night.

Possibly both ota antennas are burnt out :(

Winegard said that the ant will accept 11-18 volts. The tech said 24 prolly fried it. :( I did find out the way I was running off the multiswitch was not powering it at all though(forgot the receiver powered the ant and had to be diplexed and thats what caused the bband conflict... I am gonna try to get power to it from one of my tivo's that have moved to my kids room... I figure if it can get power from a receiver maybe I will get lucky and it didn't fry it just tripped...

Crossing fingers :( wish someone had seen my questions about voltage the other day when I asked a few times. :( :(

If I have to replace it, the antenna is SUPER SUPER high at the highest peak of my roof... Is there a place to rent a huge ladder? I can't see buying one just for this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)