GS120 Motor help requested

Status
Please reply by conversation.

H2OSkier

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
Silly me but I figured out my newly installed system isn't tracking correctly. I'm at 34N 118w (93065) and I'm using SatMex 5 as my true south. I thought I knew what programming was on what satellite but after I printed out a listing I determined that what I thought was Galaxy 11 was actually IA-6. Turns out anything I can get east of SatMex 5 seems to be off 2 degrees give or take. This might explain why I can't get some of the satellites. I made sure my mounting pole is as dead on as I can get it.

I thought I may have been messing with the system too much, so I sent the dish to reference, reset the motor, then reset the Coolsat 5000. Next I moved to SatMex 5 and it's working not quite peaked, but working. Go to G11 and blind scan and yep I get IA-6. I try AMC3 and get IA-8. If I bump the satellite setting by 2 degrees west I get the correct satellite.

When I first got the motor, GS120, it had about 4-5 degrees of slack. I talk to the nice guys at SatelliteAV and was told how to adjust the screws to remove most of the slack. I got it down to 1 degree of slack plus or minus.

Does anyone have any idea of what might be causing this issue ? I'm thinking the motor has some issues but I don't know enough to be sure. Thanks in advance for any and all help !!

Ken

Not sure why signature isn't showing but added this here:
Coolsat 5000
GeoSatPro GS120
GeoSATpro 90cm
Invacom QPH-031

Last edited:
Spoke with Ken for a few minutes and SatelliteAV suggested the following:

1. Verify that the motor position is set to zero (0) prior to resetting the motor. Don't use the receiver to drive to reference, but actually verify and if needed manually drive the motor to the zero (0).

2. Verify that the LNBF arm is properly positioned by taking measurements from side to side. If the LNBF arm is off-centered the tracking could be incorrect.

3. Reset the Coolsat using reset code 0103 rather than 0000. Turn Master Power OFF or Unplug / Replug the receiver after resetting.

4. Coolsat's have been known to send out incorrect DiSEqC commands if using a mixture of USALS and DiSEqC 1.2 commands. We suggest that USALS be choosen and once the arc is tracking properly any dish bumps for optimizing quality (I.E. G10R) should be done in USALS and adding or subtracting from the satellite position.

+/- 1 deg. of backlash sounds like roughly 2 deg. too much.

Add a slight breeze, a little bit of mount bend, and a dash of dish flexture - it is remarkable you have any control at all over which bird you are hitting.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)