GT Media ATSC 3.0 TV Tuner Stick for TVs and Smartphones Review

Wish it had PC and Mac software.
I have a Sony XBR 65X900E TV. It is running Android 9.0 and I was able to download the HDTVPlayer from the Googleplay store. The Sony USB port is 3.0 so it should work. I am going to buy it to test whether the resolutions are improved. Some users have reported resolutions of 1080P. I can receive Columbus and Dayton Ohio channels. Columbus NBC is encrypted but ABC, FOX, TBD, and CW are not encrypted. Dayton has NBC, CBS, PBS, ABC, FOX, and Dabl all available in the clear.
I have an IPhone so the GTMedia will not work with my Phone.
I am buying the unit through Amazon Prime for $64.19 since I can return it if it doesn’t work.

Last edited:
I have a Sony XBR 65X900E TV. It is running Android 9.0 and I was able to download the HDTVPlayer from the Googleplay store. The Sony USB port is 3.0 so it should work. I am going to buy it to test whether the resolutions are improved. Some users have reported resolutions of 1080P. I can receive Columbus and Dayton Ohio channels. Columbus NBC is encrypted but ABC, FOX, TBD, and CW are not encrypted. Dayton has NBC, CBS, PBS, ABC, FOX, and Dabl all available in the clear.
I have an IPhone so the GTMedia will not work with my Phone.
I am buying the unit through Amazon Prime for $64.19 since I can return it if it doesn’t work.
I received the GTMedia HDTV Mate today. I connected the GTMedia device to the USB 3.0 port on my Sony XBR 65X900E and my outside antenna. I downloaded the HDTVPlayer from the Googleplay store. I started the HDTVPlayer app on my Sony TV. I did a channel scan and found 53 channels.
All of the ATSC 1.0 channels work fine.
All of the ATSC 3.0 channels take approximately 10 seconds to tune and they play for about 5 seconds and then freeze. My guess is that the additional info on the ATSC 3.0 channels is too much for the TV to handle.
The ATSC 3.0 channels appear to have interactive content. I entered my zip code 43064 and it gives weather, national and local news, entertainment, and Emergency Alerts.
The device does have a good signal check that displays the signal strength in DBm and quality in dB. It uses the PSIP station info for the Channel Guide.
I will be checking with support to see if they have any solutions for getting the ATSC 3.0 stations to work. By the way Columbus WCMH channel 4.1 shows up as unavailable due to DRM.
Navy - my only goal is to evaluate the picture quality and the additional interactive content that ATSC 3.0 offers. I still do all of my viewing through my two Dish Hopper 3 and Joey3 units.

Reactions: Foxbat and navychop
I also have been testing the HDTV Mate with the GTMEDIA G2 Plus Android Box. I tested it out for about 5-6 hours today. I REALLY want to LOVE the HDTV Mate but there are some issue that need to be worked out, no doubt about it. This is the first time i have had something that will do ATSC3.0, so this has been super fun for me, and i think this device with a few tweaks could be great, especially for the price. The built in signal meter is totally worth the price just for aiming Over The Air antennas in my opinion. Here are my test notes:

After installing the HDTV Player app, i scanned in my channels, and it scanned in almost everything, but it missed the Channels at 605 MHz (digital 36), 49.1 here in mid-michigan. I scanned these in manually but the signal is so low they will not play. With the antenna connected directly to the tv, these play just fine, never have an issue.

All of the ATSC 3.0 Channels scanned in and play fine with the exception of CBS 5.1 (DRM encrypted). FOX, NBC, ABC all played great. Excellent picture - video and audio worked great for me, no issues. The big surprise was that the ATSC1.0 versions of these same channels had stuttering and interlacing problems. Definitely noticeable.

On Channel 5.1 (CBS) there are several sub-channels. The ATSC1.0 version of 5.1 worked, but 5.2 and 5.3 even though it shows a great signal the channels showed a blank screen, 5.4 and 5.5 worked just fine. I connected the antenna directly to the TV and the all came in fine like usual, so i have no idea why they (5.1, 5.2) would not play with the G2 and HDTV Mate.

The epg loaded pretty well for all of the channels i scanned in with the exception of one channel. This channel has 6 sub channels and the 6th would not show an epg at all. Even after leaving it on that channel for 30 minutes. That same channel the epg comes up just fine on other tvs.

I did not test any PVR, this is not that important to me. Certainly not as important as all channels scanning in, playing correctly and with good epg.

Now as far as these 3 issues i mentioned with the GTMEDIA G2 Plus Android Box and HDTV Mate combined, I also checked these same things using the HDTV Mate connected to my Android phone and saw the same issues except i can not say i noticed video interlacing or stutter really on my Android phone. Probably because the picture is so much smaller, or maybe faster processor than the G2 Plus? I dont know. On the Android phone when i tune to an ATSC 3.0 channel i am able to see the "This is an interactive channel logo press right". I do not see this when using the GTMedia G2 Plus Box.

I really do not care about the interactive aspect of the ATSC 3.0 channels. I am only interested in the fact the signal is stronger for me on these. 16 miles to the tower with all the ATSC 3.0 channels, verse various distances for the ATSC1.0 versions of the same channels from 24 to 40 something miles.

:confused:

Last edited:
Tvland1 - you may be in luck. My guy over at GTMedia just emailed me yesterday and i quote:

"Do you know who owns Fire TV and like to do some testing for us? because we are publishing the HDTV Player APP to Amazon APP Store."

So looks like they are working on it, and if my wife will let me use her Fire TV, i will be testing it for them.

Reactions: Tvland1
New message from GTMedia today:

Hi

We have pre-launched GTMedia HDTV Converter X1 product on indiegogo.

Code:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-first-atsc3-0-drm-android-converter-box

Everyone is welcome to order and enjoy the early bird price.
After the product is officially released, you can get this most cost-effective product at the best price on indiegogo.

If possible, please post this news to users who are interested in ATSC3.0 channels, especially those who want to enjoy ATSC3.0 DRM channels.

Best Regards!

Attachments

• thumbnail_Build_in_HDTV_Player_APP.jpg
    thumbnail_Build_in_HDTV_Player_APP.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 15
  • thumbnail_interface.jpg
    thumbnail_interface.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 11
  • thumbnail_main.jpg
    thumbnail_main.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 11
  • thumbnail_main_1.jpg