Guaranteed in writing from Dish?

specsmaker

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
Two weeks before the Voom shutdown, I bought a 921 and restarted my Dish service which had been on hold. I had them integrate my 61.5 dish into the system so I was ready. Knowing that mpeg4 was coming, I called three different csr's to discuss the 921 with regard to mpeg4 compatability. Each one said that they would be compatible. I have since learned that it is not compatible or upgradeable through software and will have to be replaced. Being skeptical but not fully knowledgeable yet about this I insisted that they put it in writing for me before I buy. The csr told me to put it in writing on the service agreement when the tech comes to install. This is what I wrote:
*Guaranteed that the 921 is compatible and upgradeable to mpeg4 technology at no charge to the customer!!

Does anyone have any experience with dish living up to these types of agreements.

You mean the install tech wrote it on the paper. If thats the case it dont mean jack..

You would need the statement directly from DISH Notwerk to be enforcable in a court of law and you won't get that seeing it never will be MPEG 4 compatible. But you sure are a good example of P.T. Barnums statement about suckers.

boba said:
But you sure are a good example of P.T. Barnums statement about suckers.

That's a real nice comment to make boba, especially to a fairly new forum member .

Specsmaker,

As far as getting something in writing, I doubt it would afford you much protection . Charlie himself has made statements during the live chats that never came to pass; such as NBR for the 921, but he's (Dishnetwork) never held accountable .

But, I can't imagine Dish not offering some kind of deal for the thousands that own the 921 . Actually, they'll need to come up with deals for the MILLIONS of customers when they switch everything over to mpeg4 .

please, who is going to hire a lawyer $$$$$ and take echostar corp to court because their $250-$400 dollar reciever isnt software upgradeable. also the previous post is correct, just because the installer signs it dosent mean its a binding contract between you and dish network. i hate to be harsh but when dish switches to mpeg 4 you and me and everyone will be sol.

please, who is going to hire a lawyer $$$$$ and take echostar corp to court because their $250-$400 dollar reciever isnt software upgradeable

That's what class action lawsuits are for. Lots of people bilked for small amounts.

*Guaranteed that the 921 is compatible and upgradeable to mpeg4 technology at no charge to the customer!!

Sorry to tell you but the only thing that you guaranteed when you wrote that was that Retail Services would kick out the claim and the retailer you used will not get paid until they create a new (unaltered) claim and hunt you down to sign the claim without it being altered for any reason. But it was a good try.

since you altered it ans signed it you made the contract void until someone at Echostar approves it... not A service tech, not dish network, but the echostar legal dpt would hav eto approve it.

It's wrong for the CSR's to spread misinformation. I'd go back to them and complain about it.

Chances are when MPEG4 comes around Dish will upgrade their high value customers for free. Since HD customers are pretty near the top of that list, chances are you'll have to upgrade for little if any cost.

It's the 5 year AT60 customers with a beat up 2700 that'll have to pay for the upgrade.

The law is pretty clear on this.

Only an officer of the company can sign aggrements like this.

Like the CEO, CIO CFO any one thats an officer.

Now my personal thoughts are, that IF YOU LEASE a 921 or 942 on DHA they will have to give you some kind of almost free upgrade to the Mpeg4 box as if they dont, you will just turn back in the leased box and leave.

I predict a small upgrade fee for shipping or maybe an other 1 year contract to get Mpeg4.

Since Dish is a publicly traded company they cant legally say for sure what it will be with out first putting out a formal press release as how they upgrade will effect the stock price (you know insider trading rules).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)