guide download interrupts viewing

horseflesh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
Sometimes my model 300 box will switch to a "downloading guide data" screen while I am watching tv. It's really annoying, especially since I record everything on my ReplayTV... since it's time shifted, I don't have the option to cancel the download. It ends up taking a minute or two right out of the middle of a show.

It started doing this a couple months ago, after a few years of troublefree service. I have used dish for many years before I got this box and never had this problem... Is there anything I can do about it?

There is no such thing as a model 300 receiver. Did you mean the 301 or the 311 ?? Either one, they are more or less the same. Does the guide download happen at random times, or only early in the morning ie around 3am ?

Oops, sorry, it is the 301. See, it hasn't been a problem for years so I forgot the model number. :)

The guide download seems to happen randomly, but often during prime time. It's certainly not limited to the wee hours.

I guess I will try turning the 301 off tonight in case it needs a software update. It really hasn't been off since I've had it.

horseflesh said:
Oops, sorry, it is the 301. See, it hasn't been a problem for years so I forgot the model number. :)

The guide download seems to happen randomly, but often during prime time. It's certainly not limited to the wee hours.

I guess I will try turning the 301 off tonight in case it needs a software update. It really hasn't been off since I've had it.

that might help.... also when I had dish and my tivo hooke dup to it when i left for work i would power button reboot the sucker... this made it download the 2 day guide so it wouldnt do it during shows.

Odd, I've noticed that sometimes it DOES interrupt, but other times it doesn't.. maybe I'm just not remembering things right (maybe they don't -- or maybe I'm watching a channel on 148 or 110 when it does that), but it has seemed to..

Then again, our LNB for 119 tends to goof up a bit.. when watching "local" channels I see a lot of 119 error messages even though the signal seems high enough (90s and up)...

BTW EKU, a true man's setup is a C-band on the roof with an oldschool box, no automatic tilting! Nope, you gotta go up on the roof to change your birds... pointing the 8' motha yourself..

OTA channels? Try the rabbit ears! More aluminum foil than them newfangled antennas have in steel!

But at least the picture never ever went out :shocked

Our dish setup is oldschool too! It aint no dish pro.. .no... it's legacy! And the switch is our uncle ted.. he sits on the roof and when we hit him with a ball he changes the satellites for us... yep.. he unplugs one and plugs in the other!

Hit the sys info button and look for a line somewhere near the middle of the screen taht says software version. For that receiver it should be at either P243XXXXXX or P207XXXXX (there are actually 2 different versions of the 301, hence different software) If the number is somewhere in the 100's, turn taht sucker off and let it download software, it only takes a few minutes. Also, did you get a new yellow access card yet ?

The only time my 301's have stopped to download program guide information was when I went to the guide. I have noticed that the receivers like to download program guide info after restoring from losing the satellite signal - so perhaps your problems with 119 are related. Odd.

JL

Guide data is down loaded to receivers in the early hours of the morning. ie 2,3,4 in the morning. Receivers should be turned off to receive the down loads. If in the event that a receiver is on during the time of the down loads it will attempt to obtain the guide data when the guide is accessed by the user later that day. I don't know about all models but my 510's will give the user an option to cancel the down load at that time. Sometimes my 510 in the master bedroom is left on all night so when it is cut off later in the morning the guide data is loaded at that time. If a receiver is not going to be used for a long period of time it is always good to turn it off.

In a situation where the receiver is always on, either for a TiVo/RePlay type device, or some other reason that the Tv is on 24/7 (waiting rooms etc) we usually recommend someone hard reset the unit about once week, but at least once a month. It only takes a minute and can be done when you arent recording something u want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)