H 44 (genie lite) - do they always use 5 tuners

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iowadirectvguy

Original poster
Feb 11, 2016
Iowa
We are starting to deploy the genie lite in our mdu properties, we were under the impression that we could deploy them as an hd receiver but later they could upgrade to a genie. We are thinking that they will always use 5 tuners even without the hardrive addon. Any help would be appreciated, since we don't want to deploy them in properties with not enough available swm channels.

:welcome to Satelliteguys iowadirectvguy!

They can use 5 tuners at once whether they are an H44 or upgraded with a hard drive to be an HR44.

It really seems like a waste of tuners, if they never get the dvr upgrade then basically it's wasting available tuners.

i understand, but it seems directtv is pushing these (to out customers at least). so if they don't use the clients with it or the dvr then it would be a waste. but when they offer these for free to a studio apartment that doesn't want dvr, then it's pointless. And they wanna charge the customer 99$ for just the hd option.

No, it's a reasonable approach. If they did not charge $99 for the disk option then the combined total would be cheaper than an HR44, which they would not want to do. And going to just a single solution for a receiver-only option is a good idea.

If you order the H44 Genie Lite, how much does it cost to upgrade to DVR with the Upgrade Kit? if you already said($99.00, on top of what you pay for the Genie Lite?), I must have missed it, or misunderstood.

If you order the H44 Genie Lite, how much does it cost to upgrade to DVR with the Upgrade Kit? if you already said($99.00, on top of what you pay for the Genie Lite?), I must have missed it, or misunderstood.
No, it is $99. Why would it be any less? If it were, then people wanting an HR44 would just get an H44 plus the upgrade kit and save some money.

No, it is $99. Why would it be any less? If it were, then people wanting an HR44 would just get an H44 plus the upgrade kit and save some money.
That's all I needed to know, how much it would cost to upgrade the H44 to DVR. The literature is very scarce on that detail. In my case, because of its compact size, it seems that the H44, converted to DVR, would be the best choice for a Genie, especially since I don't plan on buying a 4k TV anytime soon. $99.00 for a HDD, that's not bad.

It really seems like a waste of tuners, if they never get the dvr upgrade then basically it's wasting available tuners.

well here's that scenario played out:

what do you mean i cant watch live TV on my genie lite +HDD and 4 mini's?!

nobody wants the reciever to be less capable for an upgrade. plus if the HDD goes bad the techs are supposed to swap the h44 for a full Genie.

well here's that scenario played out:

what do you mean i cant watch live TV on my genie lite +HDD and 4 mini's?!

nobody wants the reciever to be less capable for an upgrade. plus if the HDD goes bad the techs are supposed to swap the h44 for a full Genie.
I think that they were talking 3 mini's, which would leave 1 tuner not in use if you didn't have the HDD. For some people, the Genie Lite would be just the right size for placement(like the H25), so probably they'd just replace the external HDD if it went bad.

Any Genie can only supply three outgoing streams. It retains two tuners for the TV connected to the Genie in order to do PIP, internally.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts