H-H Motor

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mark2074

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, ON
I would like some opinions. Is it really necessary to install the brackets to support a 30" dish (Fortec Star)? I want to buy a H-H motor but don't want to drill another 2 holes through the house for the supports. The location of the dish is on the back side of the house and is tucked away from winds.

Should be OK without then but less stable, I would use them anyway without the bolts, put a shim of wood where the brackets touch the wall to protect it, then install them as tight as you can to the wall, better than nothing.

Disclaimer! Make sure your mast is bolted to a strut!

Actually the dish is mounted on the side of the house, as opposed to, on the roof. I don't want to drill holes thru my brick wall and there are no rafters to attach to.

Should be fine then : ) But as above I would still use them as there is a lot of weight in the dish as it tilts as it moves from east to west, forget the holes but use the brackets (IMO)

I ran into the same problem with my Fortec, and I didn't want to drill more holes into my house. I decided to mount the dish on a post in my yard. It doesn't look as pretty on the ground, and there is a greater risk of vandalism or theft, but it makes dish maintenance a whole lot easier. I don't need to climb ladders in the winter to remove snow :)

Is your Fortec Star dish as touchy as mine? If I put a little pressure on one side, I get a 70% quality signal as soon as I move my hand, the quaility drops about 6 percent.

Mark,

I just moved my Fortec dish to my roof over the weekend to get a better line of sight. I'd definitely use the brackets. I've got an sg-2100 motor, and the dish is no where near stable enough without the brackets. There's just too much weight. I think the same will hold true for a wall mount.

RJC,

Mine is a little touchy too, although I suspect its no more so than any other brand of KU dish. I've only been playing with FTA for a couple months now, but one thing I've definitely noticed is how much more sensitive it is than my Dish network system.

Mike

Ok, I will suck it up and install the support braces. I just bought a SG2100 motor ( thanks PSB for recommending) on e-bay and should be getting it shortly. I hope I set it up in time before the bad weather starts....I don't want to be fooling around with it in the snow.

I have a motorized setup and put the 2 braces on...well worth it

Also had to put the 2 braces for that friggin monster DirectPC dish I have to :)
....just a heads up...if you mount one of these on your deck, when you decide to go on the deck make sure you watch where you're going. That plastic housing still hurts like a bugger :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts