H-H Mount And Actuator Arm?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chefwan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
South Carolina
what is the reason for a h-h mount is it for people in mid Us? or is just to reach more satellites. what can it do that the actuator cant do i know this sounds dumb im just wondering i see linuxman talk about H-H alot :)

i feel a h to h covers a large part of the arc..... but it is also very accurate
thats currently my problem and i noticed its different for each motor but also each receiver...
the 920 i was using to move my dish moved in larger steps than the one i'm using now ( its a GI 450i) so i can fine tune better with this 450i.

but i also asked a while back about motor sizes ( arm lengths) and i think if i understood correctly that longer arms could be fine tuned more accurately

ok the arm on my 10ft unimesh is a 24 von weise arm? is that a good arm i also have a 36" proball arm im thinking about switching the 24 with the 36 seeing if i can reach more around the arc? is there other stuff out there that 4dtv cant pick up that FTA can pickup?

that von weise arm is one of the best around. others might say a sag/thompson is the best its something you can try. but if you have two seperate dishes you can just do it that way. keep one for 4dtv and the other for digital FTA . you can also add a ku lnbf to that c band lnbf ( just out to the side and get both c & ku.) its just a positioning thing then :)
yes theres other stuff on satellites thats digital FTA that a 4dtv receiver can't see.

The H-H mount supposedly turns the dish further to the East and West limits, thus allowing you to see more of the arc. In comparison to some older actuator mounting solutions, this may be true, however most of the mounts that I've seen have very little limitation with an actuator (except that you need a decent actuator to pull/push it out of the extremities). My 10ft Unimesh with a 36" actuator will actually move the dish to the point that it's basically laying on it's side (in both directions). I can't see how an H-H mount could do much better than that, nor can I see how having your dish look to the north would be all that helpful for normal use ;)

And yes, there are tons of channels out there that you're missing if you're only doing 4DTV :)

[
yes theres other stuff on satellites thats digital FTA that a 4dtv receiver can't see.[/quote]

I use a splitter with a DC block to feed my DVB FTa receiver from each LNB on the BUD and then use the DSR920 as an antenna controller. I thought about another BUD but the gardener won't let me get one......

For a 6' dish, I would definitely go with the Moteck H180, as opposed to an actuator. Anything larger, I would go with an actuator. This is only for something new. For something old, I would and I am wanting an HH driven dish, like or similar to a Birdview. Ajak also had an HH motor, that looked similar to that Moteck, but I think it would handle more weight?

Al

I'd like to have a dish with an H-H to mess with for FTA. um if i got an H-H motor does it mount right to my Dish or do i need something else? cause it has an Arm on it now its a 12ft paraclipse. if wondering

h-h will have wider rotation, seeing more sats does not mean you will get more channels...:)
It all depends on where you live by the way.
If you only want to get domestic sats, both h2h and actuator function the same.
For me, I prefer actuator.
1. it's stronger to hold the dish, make it steady.
2. When the motor died, all you need is to replace the actuator. No need to retune the dish.

If you use h2h mount and it happens to die, you will have to start tuning the dish from scratch.
Good luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)