H/J install on house and 5th wheel started

Joe Satellite Fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Palisade, Colorado
Install begins at 2:30 Mountain time.
Tech shows up with all he needs to do Hopper/3 Joey in house and is doing our 5th wheel also with Hopper and Joey. Will let those wondering about RV installs how it goes.

Ok, install finished at about 5 PM. That was about 2 1/2hours. The majority of that just waiting for software downloads. The tech also wanted to set each up Joeys one at a time. Since he's the head Hopper install tech, I did nothing to change his mind. If they could have all been done at the same time, then much quicker. There no issues, everything went great. Once you realize that this was pretty much a complete install (new dish, all the cables to 4 locations, etc) The time was great.

The only issue was that we needed two solo nodes, one for the camper and one for the house. Dish help desk took awhile to decide that this was ok. After that, all was good.

Post install some of the TV/Remotes couldn't change the view of the signal: whether to make it normal, or stretch or whatever. Half worked, half did not. Maybe they will be ok tomorrow.

The RV setup went smooth as silk. As mentioned before, we have the Winegard Travler. This is a 1000.2 dish that self deploys and locks onto the satellites. We put a single node up on top of the 5th wheel and connected the cables. Went inside and fired up the Hopper. Total time for that was about 20 minutes. Once we got it and all the others initialized, we were watching TV there within about 3 minutes. The Joey was then hooked u and total time for it to be functional was probably another 10 minutes. It works great!

A note on the RV install. If you don't have a 1000.2 (or 1000.4) you probably can't do this. This setup makes my wife and me VERY HAPPY. No need to leave HD TV at home when we head out.

Sign me "Happy Camper"!

Last edited:
Great news! Congrats. Just an FYI - they HAVE to do each Joey separately or the second one won't connect.

I am waiting for the local dealer to call about when the install will happen. I don't think they were ready for a Hopper installation.

I have a Trav'ler but I have both of the coaxes from the roof dish coming into the living room so I will have the Solo there. I can use my coax switches then to flip the Solo over to the ground tripod connections.

Didn't think about the Solo being outside. That makes it a lot easier for RVers who usually have one coax to the living room and one to the bedroom.

Question on the Solo on the roof, I see how the two dish inputs go from the Trav'ler to the Solo and then use the coax that ran to the living room for the Hopper connection. Did you use the bedroom coax that had run from the Trav'ler to the bedroom for the Joey?

Last edited:
Question on the Solo on the roof, I see how the two dish inputs go from the Trav'ler to the Solo and then use the coax that ran to the living room for the Hopper connection. Did you use the bedroom coax than had run from the Trav'ler to the bedroom for the Joey?

Yes.

Our 5th wheel has dual inputs on the roof. One goes to the bedroom and one goes to the living room. I also have inputs in the "garage" that do this also. For those occasions where a tree will be in the way, I will get another single node and just hook up my old tripod 1000.2 into the garage locations. That is, if I can find one somewhere.

Quote: "Did dish allow both home and RV hoppers on one account??"
Answer: I've had dish on both home and RVs for at least 10 years. I never acknowledged I had an RV to Dish

Quote: "glad to hear you pulled it off. How did he get the solo node installed on the roof? will it fly off going 55 on the freeway?"
Answer: He actually zip-tied, at least 4 places, while that sounds like not so permanent a solution, I didn't want them to drill/poke any holes in my 5th wheel's roof. His zip work will probably last a year tops, then the zip ties are toast because of weather/sun etc. Sometime this week I will go back up and attach the node to the dish base itself. They would have done that, but it looked like it might make the install more time intensive ... they were more than happy to poke holes if I wanted
them to.

Quote: "He may not be getting the RV Distants?"
Answer: Well, I do get the distants and I don't get the distants. Where I live I can get no local TV, so I have waivers for all four networks. Since Dish got in trouble with that, I just went with All American Direct. I get all four networks both East coast and West coast through them. Not in HD, but that solves my network TV issue once we leave our spot beam area. Again, I've never approached Dish with the fact that I have a system on my camper. Some have indicated that without a phone line attached that Dish will shut down your receivers. Not true. Again, I've been using my receivers in various campers for at least 10 years. As long as you never do a pay for view or some other pay service, there is no issue. (Don't ask how I learned that!)

BTW, the issue I posted before indicating the Zoom/Normal/Stretch resolved itself overnight.

If your roof is in good shape, you might want to use 3M 5200 Adhesive Caulk to glue the Solo to the roof. 5200 really holds. I use it to mount a CPE radio on my roof.

Home Depot, Lowes. The squeeze tube is almost as much as a caulk sized tube but the shelf life once opened is not good, so get the squeeze tube.

5200 it rather permanent. I used on boats under the water line to give an idea on how strong it is. But is can be released with a heat gun to soften it up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)