H10-250 and 5.1

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

I WANT MORE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
"Middle of Nowhere"
I am still not able to get any sound out of my TV from my H10-250 when I have it set for Dolby 5.1 if the channel is being broadcast in that format. When I switch to a channel that is in standard audio the sound works fine. I am able to get sound through my surround receiver on all channels however. Any help?:confused:

HR10-250 to TV via HDMI. HR10-250 audio out to Bose Lifestyle 28 via rca jacks (L R audio). HR10-250 set to no Dolby 5.1 all works great. When I change HR 10-250 to allow Dolby 5.1 I get no audio on any channel that is putting out that audio format. Other chanells have audio.

5.1 requires the use of the optical digital audio out. 5.1 audio does not get sent over HDMI or standard audio-out. Do you have a 5.1 receiver? Does your TV support 5.1 (this is rare)?

Ted

I don't think the TV supports 5.1. Not sure why one would with no center or rear speakes involved. I simply want to be able to set the sat receiver at 5.1 so that when I do use the surround receiver it is set accordingly. Not that it is a big deal to go in and change it for me. The wife and kids however might have an issue. Can't use the optical audio out on the sat receiver because due to a lack of audio outs on the cable dvr I have to use optical audio on that.

If you are using the standard red and white (left/right) audio cables, the 5.1 audio setting will not work. 5.1 audio also will not work through the HDMI cable going to your TV. You have to use the optical digital audio out to your surround sound receiver if you want your sat receiver set to 5.1 all the time.

So your only option will be to manually change the sat receiver to 5.1 everytime you connect to your surround sound receiver and vice versa.

When I bought my HDTIVO, I also bought a new surround sound receiver, because my old one did not have enough digital audio inputs and I would have been in the same boat as you.

Just to be clear...it's not that the HDMI cable/interface won't pass DD5.1, because it will. It's that your TV doesn't decode DD5.1. If you connect the HR10-250 to an HDMI-compatible A/V receiver, you get DD5.1.

Let me throw another one out there for the group. For some reason I keep losing channels from my favorite channel list. Happens almost daily. When running through the channels I notice a particular one missing. I go in and add it again to my favorites. The next day, gone again. Any thoughts?:rolleyes:

Well its either a bug or you have the box set up for a different area than the one you live in.
And just pick up a Optic cable for your sound and the HDMI to the TV thats the only cable you need to run to your TV every thing else you can run to your receiver. Unless your running a Progressive Scan DVD player I'd run it directly to the TV and the audio to the receiver through another Optic cable. If your running anything to your "A" & "B" cable lines you will need to run a Monitor out audio to your receiver also. Good Luck

Here is an update. I recently got a new cable receiver that had an hdmi port. I switched the way that I had things hooked up. I now have the cable receiver hooked up via hdmi and the 10-250 hooked up via component. I no longer have to switch the 10-250 from 5.1. It has sound through the tv speakers on all channels.

I WANT MORE said:
I am still not able to get any sound out of my TV from my H10-250 when I have it set for Dolby 5.1 if the channel is being broadcast in that format. When I switch to a channel that is in standard audio the sound works fine. I am able to get sound through my surround receiver on all channels however. Any help?:confused:

I am having the same problem. It started sometime Tuesday. After spending about 2 hours of quality time withe Directv tech support it is now working again. I don't have a reason/explaination but this it an outline. First 3 calls resulted in them admitting there was a "bug" or "glitch" in a patch. Last night (fourth call) the tech, both second level and his supervisor, denied there was any problem that came from Directv. blamed in on my cabling.... I wasn't the nicest as the first 3 2nd level techs all said there was a "known problem" and they were working on it. Wierd thing is how it cleared out. I'll list the steps that worked:

1-Goto Settings/Audio select output in std audio. Mine was not working on any OTA or HD station when set to dolby output, but had sound on all channels when set to std audio
2-Standby system, unplug, wait, restart get live tv, wait for sattelite to do it's thing. Test for sound. You should have sound on all stations, but not in surround or dolby. .
3-go back to Settings/Audio select output in dolby, check for sound.
----
Wierd thing is that didn't work until this morning. Last night, I switched optical input ports on my receiver and swithched the cable to the new port and it worked. At that time I felt badly that I was a bit rude with the tech and his supervisor as it looked like I had a bad Optical Port. I called my stereo shop this morning and confirmed that there was no problem with the optical port. I put the Directv inport back on the original optical port and it works fine now. There was a long update that ran this morning on Channel 100 and now I am fine on any optical Port. I think there was a problem that was fixed overnight, but I can't explain why switching optical ports on the receiver worked. It was acting like there was info missing in the signal to tell my Dennon receiver to auto switch between pcm dolby or surround. I'd bet that the download this morning cleared up the problem, but I can not see any difference in version number....
Good luck, hope this was helpful.

Ross

UPDATE... Got a 5:1 HDMI switcher and an up convert DVD player. Have the D* STB, DVD player, and cable box all hooked up via HDMI to TV. Bose receiver only has 1 optical input so I have the DVD player audio using that. Using L R RCA audio plugs from the D* STB and cable box going to the Bose receiver. Here we go again, No audio out from TV if 10-250 is set to 5:1. If I change it out of 5:1 I get audio on all channels.

Still the same issue...you don't have the HR10-250 connected to anything that can decode 5.1. In fact, since you're just using the RCA, even the digital PCM output won't be decoded.

--chris

The HR10-250 doesnt even send audio in 5.1 over the HDMI...

Does your receiver have any coax digital ins? you can buy a 15 dollar converter that will take optical (toslink) to coax... that would solve your problemif you have that input on the receiver.

if you dont hook the optical up you are not going to get 5.1 period. if you do it theway i outlined above you can let it switch from pcm to 5.1 automaticly and you would be all set... this is the way mine is set and is very wife friendly.

The HR10-250 doesnt even send audio in 5.1 over the HDMI...
To be clear, the HR10-250 does send audio in 5.1 over the HDMI. As long as you have it connected to a reciever that can accept 5.1 it works great. I have mine connected via HDMI and only HDMI to a JVC RX-D402 and get 5.1.

kbcrowe said:
To be clear, the HR10-250 does send audio in 5.1 over the HDMI. As long as you have it connected to a reciever that can accept 5.1 it works great. I have mine connected via HDMI and only HDMI to a JVC RX-D402 and get 5.1.

mustave been fixed....when i first got mine (august of 05) it didnt... I stand corrected.

however my wiring would still work for ya.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts