H20-500?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lynskyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Houston, Texas
I'm getting tired of the slow guide in my H20-600 so I called my old satellite distributor to see if they had the H20-100. They said they have the H20-500. Does anyone here have this model? If so, is it running the 060F firmware or the 003E 020E, B00000113 like on the 100 models? Thanks.

WOW I'm surprised nobody has replied. Since the H20-500 is the only one my distributor has, I figured there would be lots of them out there.

Last edited:
Lynskyn said:
I'm getting tired of the slow guide in my H20-600 so I called my old satellite distributor to see if they had the H20-100. They said they have the H20-500. Does anyone here have this model? If so, is it running the 060F firmware or the 003E 020E, B00000113 like on the 100 models? Thanks.
Ken H over at avsforum.com can tell you who makes the -500. I haven't seen one yet. The -100s are made by Thomson/RCA and the -600s are made by LG.

Also see this H20 thread at avsforum.

Thanks. I had checked that forum before but never found a definitive answer. I do know that the H20-500s my distributor has are made in China. Guess I'll stick with the 600 until I know more.

Thanks, arxaw. Now I just need to find someone who has actually used one of these to see if it's better than the 600 (lower temp, faster guide, different sw)

does the menu on the h20 bother you that much? It does not bother me at all. I guess some people are more bothered by this stuff then others. But since I got my h10 and h20 for free I cant complain.

Lynskyn said:
...I just need to find someone who has actually used one of these to see if it's better than the 600 (lower temp, faster guide, different sw)
I have a -100 that replaced a dead -600. The guide speed is greatly improved, heat problems are gone and overall stability is better. My -100 hasn't locked up yet. It's a completely different board inside with a cooler running chipset.

Only downside I've had with my -100 is a somewhat weaker OTA tuner than the -600. I lost one fringe OTA channel that the -600 received no problem. Others over at AVSForum have reported just the opposite, so YMMV. And if all your OTA stations are strong, you probably won't have any reception problems. Overall, the -100 is a huge improvement over the -600.

Eric Goempel said:
does the menu on the h20 bother you that much? It does not bother me at all. I guess some people are more bothered by this stuff then others. But since I got my h10 and h20 for free I cant complain.

Yes, it does bother me quite a bit. I have put up with the sluggish performance with hope that a firmware update might remedy the problem. Then I saw how well my brother-in-law's replacement receiver (a -100) worked and believe mine should work just as well. Plus, I changed from the Sony SAT-HD300 to the H20, so I was not used to waiting when I scroll through the guide.

arxaw said:
I have a -100 that replaced a dead -600. The guide speed is greatly improved, heat problems are gone and overall stability is better. My -100 hasn't locked up yet. It's a completely different board inside with a cooler running chipset.

Only downside I've had with my -100 is a somewhat weaker OTA tuner than the -600. I lost one fringe OTA channel that the -600 received no problem. Others over at AVSForum have reported just the opposite, so YMMV. And if all your OTA stations are strong, you probably won't have any reception problems. Overall, the -100 is a huge improvement over the -600.

Thanks. I realize the -100 works better. I was hoping to find someone with a -500 to see how it compares to the -100 and -600 since the -500 is the only one my distributor has.
Anyone? Bueller? :D

OK, well now I know why there has been no feedback on the -500. They're not out there. I went by my distributor and the boxes they kept telling me were -500s were actually just -600s.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)