H20 & AT9 Installed today..my perspective

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

climo

Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Socal...bank robbery capital
Ok today was the big day that I jumped into the fire of what we call High-Definition! Was waiting 2 weeks for this H20 install and hoped all would go well. I've read many horror stories about botched installs and the like so I was a little nervous from the start. Here's my findings.

*My install was scheduled between 10-12 noon. I called on monday to make sure all was ok. 12 noon came and went..no installer. Around 1:45 I hear the door bell. He's here. A little late but here none the less. After a few minutes I confirm he knows the AT9 install very well. After a little surveying we pick a spot on the roof over the eve and he mounts the dish no problem. Before I can ask about the support arms I see him unwrapping them. One small in front and the longer one in back. The J-mount is now solid. He tells me they are mandatory for the AT9. It takes him about 15 minutes to align the dish with the signal meter. Almost done on the roof.
* This is new to me. 4 coax leads coming out of the LNB's but only one is required since I only have one reciever? So we wrap the other 3 leads and connect one to my existing coax that runs into the house. Its already solid copper so no worries. I thought a switch was used to gather the four leads then one comes out the switch to the recs? either way works I guess. We are done on the roof.
* I connect the H20 and go thru all the setup info. We get the basic info screen and now waiting for Directv to activate the new receiver. About 20 minutes later we're viewing the Hd channels and all is looking good. My installer is getting ready to leave. I felt he did a great job so I rewarded him with a Pepsi! haha!!
* So far the H20 is excellent. The OTA tuner is terrific finding all my local HD channels. I'm using the Terk indoor silver sensor type, but I have it on my roof with excellent results!
* After a few minutes of customizing...it wanted to update the software. It changed the channel and started the d/l. About 20 minutes later it finished with version 0f06. It seems mine already had one update and only required the newer one. After the update I thought it was caught in the reset loop. I could see it come on then turn off. the led's on the front panel were flashing and then it stopped and a channel appeared. update complete.
* I watched my local HD channels along with Disc HD and I cannot tell if there is an audio lag or not. I will give it more time. I'm using componet and optical by the way.
* As far as heat. My H20 runs pretty warm but not hot. Its hot in one spot (you can rest you're hand no problem) but thats it. I will leave it on at night for a few days and recheck it.
* Guide does need some help with the multiple button presses but its not that bad. Time between channels is ok. its quicker if you have native turned off. It could be faster on scrolling though. I find myself using the channel up and down more.
* All sumed up the H20 is not that bad after all. With continuous updates I think directv will work out the bugs. We can only hold our breaths and wait. Exsqueeze me but I'm off to view HD channels I've heard so much about. :D

I had an install of a H20 and AT9 yesterday. My install went almost the same as yours. It took about 15 to 20 minutes for the H20 to download the software update(don't remember which version). I have to other receivers on my account in addition to the H20(R15 and HDTivo). I have noticed that the signal strength readings on the H20 are lower than the readings on the other two receivers. I have not had any problems with the H20 yet and the problems I had with the other two receivers(searching for satellite message on channels 250-253 and channel 841) have been fixed. The H20 does seem to pickup OTA digital stations better than the HDTivo. The installer hooked up the AT9 and the H20 receiver and checked to make sure that the other two receivers were working correctly. He arrived at 12:30PM and has gone before 2PM.

The H20 has a AWSOME OTA tunner!!! Climo, you will need to have the multiswitch added when D* lights up local HD on the spotbeam. It is good to see installers putting both support arms on like they are supposed to. Enjoy your HD guys. Opps I mean HDLITE in the eyes of the all knowing E* guys! LOL

The more and more I watch TV with the H20, I think on non-hd channels, they look better. Monday Im having the installer come out and add the second arm to my set up. I can get windy were I live and i think that the extra arm that they put in, I might need the second. But so far so good...Im totaly happy with the H20

Yeah I thought it was going to take longer to setup the new dish but this guy knew what he was doing. It would of taken me almost all day to set it up but this is why I chose to have it installed. Just sit back and watch.

So far so good. I have not been able to notice any signs of an audio lag. I watched hours of HD programming last night but nothing. It may be present but so little I don't notice it.

I left it on last night and the temp stayed the same. No issues with heat. Now to order my HDMI cable.

Has anyone had problems with trying to learn the codes from the remote? My older Marantz learning remote is having a tough time learning the codes. After a few tries I was able to learn most of the options I use. It took longer than normal. Is Directv using a different freq. with their remote? Just a thought.

Here is a picture of the new dish. If you look close you can also see my Terk indoor (outdoor now) HDTV antenna used for local HD. It works great!

site1052.jpg

Dragon You are telling me that when all 5 lnbs are in use you can feed a single box off of the feed from just the 3 main lnb's? If so why are the other 2 even there? I am using 6 with the 2nd local SD dish. So if I only had 1 box I could feed the sigianl from both dishes and all 6 sats with one line and no mulitiplexer?

Weird, I thought part of the reson for a multiplexer was to combine the siginals from the different LNBs.

Eric Goempel said:
Dragon You are telling me that when all 5 lnbs are in use you can feed a single box off of the feed from just the 3 main lnb's? If so why are the other 2 even there? I am using 6 with the 2nd local SD dish. So if I only had 1 box I could feed the sigianl from both dishes and all 6 sats with one line and no mulitiplexer?

Weird, I thought part of the reson for a multiplexer was to combine the siginals from the different LNBs.

yes eric you can run one line to one IRD from the main lnb assembly, it is a combining multiswitch. you only need a 6x8 wideband for more than 4 feeds or the 72.5 or 95 dish.;)

The Tate said:
You will need a switch if you have a 2 combination dish like you but not if you have less then 4 recievers on a phaze 3 or AT9

tate, could we make a living at providing info???:devil:

OK I am with you. Had a total brain fart as to the 2 side LNBs hooking into the 3 main units. NO idea why I forgot that.
I guess I have been treated like a mushroom to long by my wife. She feeds me $h*^ and keeps me in the dark!!

The Tate said:
$5.00 per word. :D :devil:

In that case my last post was $145.

Were do I send the bill?

:devil: :D :devil: :D :devil:

to directv, maybe thent hey will better train and infor their csr's

hey tate,

now there is an idea, open a call center and charge for CORRECT advice on service and questions. oh, the possibilities and $$$$$

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)