H20 Bad HDMI

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dsc3507

Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
I have an H20 that I have had for over a year and up to now I have been using the component output. I just tried the HDMI and found it to be defective.

My question is where do I go from here. I have not called direct yet. I have no protection plan. i suppose if I want this to work I will have to buy a new box (H21) but before I do anything I wanted to check with the forum to see what my possible options would be. Is there a chance that DTV would replace this or give me better than a "buy a new one" deal?

If I do need to buy a new one is it best to bu it from DTV? I could just go to Circuit City and pick one up but then I would have to pay out of pocket to ship this one back to DTV I suppose.

Also is there anything else I can try beside hooking up the HDMI cable. I presume HDMI is always outputted as I see no way to turn it off or in in settings.

Looking for some options......

I have an H20 that I have had for over a year and up to now I have been using the component output. I just tried the HDMI and found it to be defective.

My question is where do I go from here. I have not called direct yet. I have no protection plan. i suppose if I want this to work I will have to buy a new box (H21) but before I do anything I wanted to check with the forum to see what my possible options would be. Is there a chance that DTV would replace this or give me better than a "buy a new one" deal?

If I do need to buy a new one is it best to bu it from DTV? I could just go to Circuit City and pick one up but then I would have to pay out of pocket to ship this one back to DTV I suppose.

Also is there anything else I can try beside hooking up the HDMI cable. I presume HDMI is always outputted as I see no way to turn it off or in in settings.

While HDMI is great to have,is there any reason why you are changing to HDMI ?
The Component is also a very good choice if your HDMI is not working for some reason.
IF you need to use the HDMI connection, I would make a call to D* and inquire, tell them that you want to use your HDMI port and it doesn't work and they may send you a new one.
Never know till you call. You probably will have to play for shipping, but it beats paying for the whole thing.

Jimbo

The HDMI on my H20 crapped out shortly after I got it. I never really bothered getting it fixed since the component video looked fine, and still does on my HR20 and HR22. Except for the HDMI issue my H20 continued to work just fine. Unless you have a specific need for HDMI, which I can't imagine unless your components are all filled up or you're dying to justify an expensive HDMI cord purchase to yourself, I'd just go with the H20 as is.

I really need HDMI in addition to component! I have local TV wired component and optical and I am sending Hi-def to a remote TV via HDMI to cat 5/6 cable converter. Nice thing about this is that with two inexpensive cat 5 runs I can have 1080P and audio at over 100 feet away, like it was right there.

As far as HDMI cables - they are NOT expensive. Only when you buy at big box and local stores. On the internet (try ebay) you can get gold, 1.3, six footers for $6 a piece!!!

I agree there is not much if any difference in quality between HDMI and component but it is so much more cable efficient.

I really need HDMI in addition to component! I have local TV wired component and optical and I am sending Hi-def to a remote TV via HDMI to cat 5/6 cable converter. Nice thing about this is that with two inexpensive cat 5 runs I can have 1080P and audio at over 100 feet away, like it was right there.

As far as HDMI cables - they are NOT expensive. Only when you buy at big box and local stores. On the internet (try ebay) you can get gold, 1.3, six footers for $6 a piece!!!

I agree there is not much if any difference in quality between HDMI and component but it is so much more cable efficient.
Well if you need it, then the best advice I can give is to call D* and say that the port is malfunctioned and you need a new box.

If you are REALLY lucky, you have a H20-600 that is part of the recall. If you do, they will ship you another box at no charge and include pre-paid shipping back for your old one.

Here is a link to the thread about the partial recall. http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/148120-h20-600-partial-recall-dtv.html

I have local TV wired component and optical and I am sending Hi-def to a remote TV via HDMI to cat 5/6 cable converter. Nice thing about this is that with two inexpensive cat 5 runs I can have 1080P and audio at over 100 feet away, like it was right there.

Never heard of that, could you pleaser tell me more or post a link? I need to hook up a Tv about 75 FT of cable length, hope to send HD all the way from the D* box.

My H20 HDMI goes out every once in awhile. Especially when the receiver gets bumped. I reset the receiver and then it comes back. I know not the best.....but something to try.

Never heard of that, could you pleaser tell me more or post a link? I need to hook up a Tv about 75 FT of cable length, hope to send HD all the way from the D* box.

The HDMI extender is a Tripp-Lite HDMI over Cat 5/6 Extender Model B125-150. It will send 1080P 110 feet and 720P up to 196 feet. For shorter distances it is HDMI powered but comes with a wall box for the display end. Both ends are small. Smaller than a pack of cirgarettes. It requires two cat 5/6 runs. Cat 6 cable would go further than 5. Cost is about $96 at buy.com

IMHO, the best place to buy HDMI cable is monoprice.com

I've bought from them several times and have always been pleased with both the price and the quality. They ship really, really promptly also.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)