H20 black screen and reset

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wongloo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
Apologies for asking this question again. Reported this about 2 months ago - I have an H20 that keeps failing - get a black screen, the remote doesn't respond, and I can't do anything but to press the red reset button for it to reinitialize and reset, where it eventually comes back. It used to be intermittent, but now it happens about every hour or so. I've already called customer retention, and much to my disappointment, nothing has been done - they claim it's a software problem that is on the verge of being fixed. Has anyone else had this problem recently? Last time, several posters gave me suggestions - such as redownloading software, unplug and replug, try different outlet, etc. Tried it all, and nothing works.

I think this is a known problem - does anyone have any comments?

Thanks in advance.

The first H20 I had exhibited the same problem.

Get DTV to replace your receiver, I don't think a software down load will help.

You can try to force a down load by resetting your receiver and when you get to the welcome message press 2,4,6,8.

I am pulling this from memory so if I am wrong someone correct me.:confused:

wongloo said:
Apologies for asking this question again. Reported this about 2 months ago - I have an H20 that keeps failing - get a black screen, the remote doesn't respond, and I can't do anything but to press the red reset button for it to reinitialize and reset, where it eventually comes back. It used to be intermittent, but now it happens about every hour or so. I've already called customer retention, and much to my disappointment, nothing has been done - they claim it's a software problem that is on the verge of being fixed. Has anyone else had this problem recently? Last time, several posters gave me suggestions - such as redownloading software, unplug and replug, try different outlet, etc. Tried it all, and nothing works.

I think this is a known problem - does anyone have any comments?

Thanks in advance.

You say D* won't replace it ???

Ask them what they suggest you do for TV until they fix the problem ?
Also are they still billing you for the channels they cannot give you ???

Sheeeesh, Stay on them :eek:

There weren't quite that bad. I normally have few complaints about the service. The rep politely informed me, after putting me on hold for about 5 minutes to ask his supervisor if they should send me a new one, he told me that the tech people indicated that the problem was "close" to being resolved, that the problem was that the software fix was not getting downloaded properly to all the receivers - that it worked for some, and not for others, that they were close to getting it resolved; to be patient until it does; that if they sent me a new one, it was possible that it would have the same problem; blah blah blah. He offered to discount the HD package by $5/mo for 6 months. I sort of blew a fuse at this explanation, ranted for about 5 minutes, and realized that I wasn't going to get anywhere; realized he was just a rep trying to do his job. He asked if I'd wait another week to see if it was resolved. So I'm going to wait a week, and then maybe flip my lid again. I'm not ready to cancel yet - Next week I'll attempt it again if it's not resolved and try for a supervisor.

wongloo said:
There weren't quite that bad. I normally have few complaints about the service. The rep politely informed me, after putting me on hold for about 5 minutes to ask his supervisor if they should send me a new one, he told me that the tech people indicated that the problem was "close" to being resolved, that the problem was that the software fix was not getting downloaded properly to all the receivers - that it worked for some, and not for others, that they were close to getting it resolved; to be patient until it does; that if they sent me a new one, it was possible that it would have the same problem; blah blah blah. He offered to discount the HD package by $5/mo for 6 months. I sort of blew a fuse at this explanation, ranted for about 5 minutes, and realized that I wasn't going to get anywhere; realized he was just a rep trying to do his job. He asked if I'd wait another week to see if it was resolved. So I'm going to wait a week, and then maybe flip my lid again. I'm not ready to cancel yet - Next week I'll attempt it again if it's not resolved and try for a supervisor.

You should be talking to the retention department. If you tell them that you will cancel if they don't fix your problem, you will get a much better deal, I think.

I did talk to customer retention (see my original post above). I don't even bother talking to anyone else - I've got customer retention on my speed-dial. I can get a better deal I know by raising a bigger stink, but I don't really care about getting $$ off by month, I just want the problem fixed. I figured I'd be patient one more week, and then we'll see. Thanks for everyone's input.

"a fix is in the works" CSR at D* today

Several weeks ago the H10 problems prompted calling and after sending out a tech who told me that the box was bad and call D* for a replacement or I could upgrade the 3LNB to the new dish. After 8 people they sent me an H20, that reboots (resets) when I tune to local OTA's 4.1, 5.1. 44.1, 38.1.

They told me to pull/remove the OTA cable and then remove the local HD locals from the guide etc.

The next gem was that 'a fix is the works' but with no date on delivery.

Very nicely - no sharp tones, bad words, yelling etc, I told them fix it soon or Comcast and that D* will be the last to know.

As a 'best customer' (1999) I am not impressed with D*. Just have to decide if i want
to pay $40 more a month.

I know Toyota would fix such a problem (even Ford). How can these clowns stay in business ?!! (no answer needed).

FIOS is too far away, living in the Peoples Republic of MASS, it will take major work for the Verizon folks to get each of the 351 Soviets in MASS to allow Verizon to 'compeat' with Comcast.

So I guess I live with it, the OTA HD's do look much better via the Sony HD built in tuner so I guess I have fun with buttons for viewing.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.