H20 is almost perfect...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Optical Serenity

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
Marietta,GA
The H20 is a great receiver, and would be perfect, but its SLOW...

The menu speed is almost unbearable, but otherwise its a great receiver. I love having the RF remote, and it has many options.

Ok, this is my rant of the week. But, to the meat of the post, are there any plans for a receiver that is faster? Like an H20 successor?

The H20-100 is much faster than the H20-600.
I doubt it's a hardware speed issue, more likely LG got the H20-600 to market fast instead of optimizing the firmware for speed.
I am hoping for a firmware update that will speed up the -600. Hopefully soon. It is a good receiver with the exception of slow guide/channel changes.

The H20-100 looks almost identical to the H20-600. What's inside is very different though.
The -100 runs cooler and doesn' crash on bad PSIP data from an OTA station.
The -100 guide is lightning fast. No comparison to the slow -600.
The -600 has a very slight edge in OTA (antenna) reception ability. If your local OTA signal strength is strong with no co-channel interference (or if you don't use an OTA antenna) this isn't an issue.

The -600 is made by LG
The -100 is made by RCA

Last edited:
Possibly rushed to market prematurely? I'm not so sure that it will get fixed. The -600s have had at least 2 firmware updates and they were aware of the sluggish guide at the time of these updates.

The -100 has had no updates. Only future one I've heard of is for the "active" feature.

arxaw said:
Possibly rushed to market prematurely? I'm not so sure that it will get fixed. The -600s have had at least 2 firmware updates and they were aware of the sluggish guide at the time of these updates.

The -100 has had no updates. Only future one I've heard of is for the "active" feature.

LG's improving reputation will take a hit IF they don't get it fixed, they have been very reliable..... till now.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
LG's improving reputation will take a hit IF they don't get it fixed, they have been very reliable..... till now.

Jimbo

Maybe I am just lucky, but I have had few issues with my H20. It does run a little hot, but I have it sitting on four dice to help circulate air under it! The guide is a little slow, but not enough to get upset about. Also, the tuner is much better than any I have had.

raoul5788 said:
Maybe I am just lucky, but I have had few issues with my H20. It does run a little hot, but I have it sitting on four dice to help circulate air under it! The guide is a little slow, but not enough to get upset about. Also, the tuner is much better than any I have had.
raoul5788,
Which H-20 do you have ?
Just curious ....

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
raoul5788,
Which H-20 do you have ?
Just curious ....

Jimbo

The 600 by LG. BTW, it's Chip, Raoul is just a screen name. No offense, but your avatar drives me nuts!:D

raoul5788 said:
Pretty much the same situation here.We have 2 of the H20-600s.They have performed well for us.They are both in open areas,so,they don't get hot.They are warm when I feel them from time to time,but,nothing major in that area.I reboot ours every now and then and that seems to help with the speed of the guide issue for awhile.I also agree with you on the OTA tuner,it is much better than what we had before we went to D*s service.

raoul5788 said:
The 600 by LG. BTW, it's Chip, Raoul is just a screen name. No offense, but your avatar drives me nuts!:D
You can turn off annoying avatars in Thread Display Options.

If you dislike animated .gifs and you use Firefox browser, open a new tab and type
about:config in the address bar.
Look for the preference: image.animation_mode
Doubleclick that line.
Change the value to once and close the tab.

No more animations.

arxaw said:
You can turn off annoying avatars in Thread Display Options.

If you dislike animated .gifs and you use Firefox browser, open a new tab and type
about:config in the address bar.
Look for the preference: image.animation_mode
Doubleclick that line.
Change the value to once and close the tab.

No more animations.

Thanks for the info. I do use Firefox.

arxaw said:
The H20-100 looks almost identical to the H20-600. What's inside is very different though.
The -100 runs cooler and doesn' crash on bad PSIP data from an OTA station.
The -100 guide is lightning fast. No comparison to the slow -600.
The -600 has a very slight edge in OTA (antenna) reception ability. If your local OTA signal strength is strong with no co-channel interference (or if you don't use an OTA antenna) this isn't an issue.

The -600 is made by LG
The -100 is made by RCA

Any idea where you can purchase the 100?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)