H20 program guide refresh not working properly

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rlorton

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
MO
Recently, after many hours of conversation with DTV I finally got my HD and locals established. They had to send out a "real" DTV tech to install a new slimline antenna and upgrade one of my dinosaur receivers to a leased H23. The tech had to put some kind of filter on my H20 in the living room. Everything worked well for a while but over the past couple of weeks the box simply stops and starts with the Hello screen, then operates normally for a day or two. It quit the stop and reload trick in the past few days it has failed to download the program guide, listing many channels as TBA or regular programming. "fixing" that requires unplugging the receiver and plugging it back in and waiting while it DLs the guide. Now the guide isn't retained in memory more than a couple of hours. Anybody got an idea?
Ron

Rlorton said:
Recently, after many hours of conversation with DTV I finally got my HD and locals established. They had to send out a "real" DTV tech to install a new slimline antenna and upgrade one of my dinosaur receivers to a leased H23. The tech had to put some kind of filter on my H20 in the living room. Everything worked well for a while but over the past couple of weeks the box simply stops and starts with the Hello screen, then operates normally for a day or two. It quit the stop and reload trick in the past few days it has failed to download the program guide, listing many channels as TBA or regular programming. "fixing" that requires unplugging the receiver and plugging it back in and waiting while it DLs the guide. Now the guide isn't retained in memory more than a couple of hours. Anybody got an idea?
Ron

Get a another HD receiver. The H20's have left this life and went to the Directv heavens in the sky.

Honestly, sounds like its on it's way out, I'd have them drop ship you a replacement

I agree with Hutch, it's likely a bad box, especially if it's an H20-600. They had lots of issues. Call Directv and tell them it won't even power up and to please send you another one. Make sure they don't give you a new commitment or extend one you already have. If you don't have the protection plan it may cost you $19.99 for shipping, but that fee could get waived if you are lucky and nice!

I was kind of expecting that. The problem is I've managed to maintain my non-contract status since I first signed up back when they first started selling services. I hav e also always owned my own equipment. I did relent and took an offer to replace an old receiver when they installed the new slimline ant. with a leased box at no cost and no contract. I wonder if they'll do it again! Back when we first started with them it was easy to buy my own equipment but now that we're retired and the bills keep rising due to enhanced services that it's difficult to avoid signing up for them and still get the standard services you want. The bill has evolved from a really comfortable $50-$60 per month to now pushing $100. Thanks guys I'll go back and spend another few idle hours on the phone trying to keep it down to a managable level.
Ron

I should have been more specific in my reply. If the box is determined to be defective, then there is no commitment involved to replace it as long as it's a leased box.

I was kind of expecting that. The problem is I've managed to maintain my non-contract status since I first signed up back when they first started selling services. I hav e also always owned my own equipment. I did relent and took an offer to replace an old receiver when they installed the new slimline ant. with a leased box at no cost and no contract. I wonder if they'll do it again! Back when we first started with them it was easy to buy my own equipment but now that we're retired and the bills keep rising due to enhanced services that it's difficult to avoid signing up for them and still get the standard services you want. The bill has evolved from a really comfortable $50-$60 per month to now pushing $100. Thanks guys I'll go back and spend another few idle hours on the phone trying to keep it down to a managable level.
Ron

Owning equipment isn't what it use to be....

I too owned all my equipment until they went to the Lease program and I saw how often equipment was changing and upgrading.
Had it not been for the LEASE program I would never HAVE 2-4 HD DVR's, wouldn't be able to afford them at full price.

Jimbo said:
Owning equipment isn't what it use to be....

I too owned all my equipment until they went to the Lease program and I saw how often equipment was changing and upgrading.
Had it not been for the LEASE program I would never HAVE 2-4 HD DVR's, wouldn't be able to afford them at full price.

Mines owned... :D

I agree with Hutch, it's likely a bad box, especially if it's an H20-600. They had lots of issues. Call Directv and tell them it won't even power up and to please send you another one. Make sure they don't give you a new commitment or extend one you already have. If you don't have the protection plan it may cost you $19.99 for shipping, but that fee could get waived if you are lucky and nice!
IF D* upgrades the box then he may get away with the No Commitment, but if he calls in and wants a new recvr (other than the H20) then they will definitely get him for a 2 year commit.

So, when he calls he should see what they offer before asking for anything.

IF D* upgrades the box then he may get away with the No Commitment, but if he calls in and wants a new recvr (other than the H20) then they will definitely get him for a 2 year commit.

So, when he calls he should see what they offer before asking for anything.

That's why I said "if the box is determined to be defective".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)