H21-200

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rockaway1836

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2005
Myrtle Beach SC
I was just at the local BB and they have the H21 in stock. I'm thinking I may pick one up. Has anyone tried one out yet? I hear They run much cooler than the H20-600, and that the guide is much faster. Any thoughts?

It's a nice box, I've been doing the early testing with the H21-200 for D* for a few months. Yes, it runs A LOT cooler then the H20-600 I have. The guide is a bit faster but hard to tell since I'm still running early release code on it so don't remember what the last production level was like. The H21 has an ethernet adapter in it, which the H20 doesn't but it's not enabled and don't know when/if D* will even do anything with it. The big question is would you want a box with no over the air tuner in it since the H21 doesn't have it. If that's not an issue for you then if you need a new HD STB then go for it.

Thanks for the reply rad. Yea, I think I'm going to go for it. I have 1 H20 -100 with no heat issues at all. I have 4 H20-600s that all run hot. Some hotter than others. I think I will swap them around a bit and move the hottest one to the guest bedroom. That way it won't be so much of an issue. I think it also maybe time to retire my 3 old SD Sonys. I hate doing it though, they have worked great for 11 years!

Have you thought at all about getting a HR20 vs. another H20/H21? Besides getting the HD DVR the HR20 has the Media Share function (view JPEG's and listen to MP3's from a network attached computer) and soon the DirecTV on Demand (their video on demand) where you can download showes/movies via your broadband connection. You might want to call D*, say cancel at the first prompt to get to customer retention and see if they'll make you a deal on one.

Yes, I have given the DVR some thought. But when it comes down to it, I don't think it's for me. Before I moved down here this past June I realized I had somethig like a dozen VCRs in my old house. It also dawned on me that I hadn't recorded a bloody thing in years.To me VOD is not something I need as I hardly even use PPV at all. Also since I moved D has already been very good to me. Besides giving me an H20 and 3 SD receivers for free. They also did a pole mount of the Slimline with 13 runs at no charge. In addition when my original H20 fried it'self they replaced that at no charge as well. That's without having the buyer protection plan and the receiver being over a year old.I didn't want the 3 SD receivers and sent them back BTW.

OK, just thought I'd mention it. BTW though, the DVR is nice even if you don't record shows for later viewing, just having the ability to pause a show when the phone rings or nature calls is a plus IMHO. Once you have one you'll find that you don't watch that much "Live" TV anymore, you record your normal shows then start watching them 10 to 20 min after they start and then FF through the commercials, you can do a 1 hour show in 40 minutes that way. Good luck with whatever way you go.

Yes, I have given the DVR some thought. But when it comes down to it, I don't think it's for me. Before I moved down here this past June I realized I had somethig like a dozen VCRs in my old house. It also dawned on me that I hadn't recorded a bloody thing in years.To me VOD is not something I need as I hardly even use PPV at all. Also since I moved D has already been very good to me. Besides giving me an H20 and 3 SD receivers for free. They also did a pole mount of the Slimline with 13 runs at no charge. In addition when my original H20 fried it'self they replaced that at no charge as well. That's without having the buyer protection plan and the receiver being over a year old.I didn't want the 3 SD receivers and sent them back BTW.
hey rock, i was a lot like you, have vcr and it collected dust. i resisted the dvr until 6 months ago.... I will never go back. It is so easy to record and record series automatically it is night and day against any vcr. In addition the ability to pause live tv is effortless. It has even made me more efficient around the house. I am not tied to any tv schedule but the schedule i choose. and skipping through the 20 minutes of commercials for every hour,,,, jeeeez, I acually keep up wih the laundry now. oh yea,,, and zero degredation in picture quality.

Thanks for the input guys. I think the DVR may be in my future afterall. Today my wife and daughter told me that they would want one. But today I picked up the H21, and so far it's a winner. It seems a bit smaller than both the H20 600 and 100. Also the fact that it defaults to the HD channels out of the box is a plus. It runs oh so much cooler than the H20 600 too. Not to mention I am only $9 out of pocket for it too. I used a 12% coupon from BB and I had$80 in rewards points. So far it's been a good day!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)