H21 issue

Status
Please reply by conversation.

berck

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Pleasanton, CA (SF Bay Area)
Shortly before the CE's for the H21, I noticed that most of my locals would loose signal with the unit. I'd see a searching for signal 771 message. When updating the firmware with the MRV CE's, this seemed to disappear.

I haven't updated the unit since 12/20, and the other day, I started seeing the searching for signal problem again. Primarily on all my local stations. Usually, if I went to a national feed and back to the local, it would lock on again.

So, I got the idea that maybe I need to reboot the unit. I did, and the problem has gone away. I checked the signal strength with my HR21 unit. The numbers are the same within 2 values (IE: H21 80 / HR21 80-82). Most are the same, but the H21 unit does have some lower, just not lower than 2 from the HR21 (I have the values at home, but most are in the 80 to 100 range, excluding some N/A and zero's on the spot beams)

Anybody else having this issue?

EDIT:
Ok, I check it again when I got home. The problem is still there, but its happening on all the channels. In looking at the signal strengths, I'm seeing something odd. The first time through, everything looks as it should be. If I let the system run through on the same satellite a few more times, many of the even TP's zero out, and then come back at normal strength. Going something like 100 -> 0 -> 100, or 83-> 0 -> 83. Very strange behavior.

Last edited:
Loss of even TPs can mean a problem with the coax. Corrosion on a connector can reduced the 18v signal needed to choose the even TPs. Possibly a bad BBC.

Ok, I checked the coax. The installer tied into the older Dish cable that was run, but needed about six extra feet to extend the cable to the placement for the Direct dish. The connector is along the wall and is exposed to the elements. When I pulled it apart, the bottom connection looked a lot dirtier than the top. I clean it out and things look good again.

Thanks

Ok, I don't think its the cable. I had got the even TP's back and clean the connection, and things looked good again. Next day, all the even TP's are gone again. This really seems like a hardware issue to me.

Its either Software or LNB issue. I had the same trouble with my old H -20 ,But mine was a Buggy CE. The odds would come in and out and the evens would come in and out back and forth. Just like an LNB problem would do. Then it wouldn't let me force a manual download any longer. If you have another receiver hooked up and its working fine ,Try hooking it up where your H 21 is and test the coax. If it work fine there ,Its your receiver.

Ok, thats a good idea Hemi. I have noticed another thing. Every time I clean up the connection, its during the day, and everything works fine. As night comes around, all the even TP's are gone. Fine during the day. Hmm, could this be a temperature thing?

EDIT:

I have four feeds comng off the slimline dish. Two go to the HR21 and one goes to the H21. A year ago, the second installer put another cable on the fourth feed to test dish positioning, since mine got out of alignment. He left the cable for future testing. He tucked in the end of the cable back up into the arm. I just disconnected my cable off the single feed onto the test line. All TP's are up again.

Last edited:
That sounds like either a Connection problem on the Dish , Or most likly an LNB issue. My house was 15 below Zero last night and I've not had one issue with D* or my E* equipment. So unless your colder then that ,I don't see that as a problem.
UNLESS You have a break in your Coax Center Conductor somewhere. When Rubber is Cold it contracts pulling the broken conductor away from each other. When it hot it expands back. This could be the issue as well. Just check all your lines really well and all your connection points Unscrew then as well and look over if you can. Then You may have to made a service call.
But it looks like you got it:) That wire was getting exposed to the elements. That will do it!:)

Thanks for your help. It does appear to be fine now. I'll keep and eye on it and see how it goes. Just changing the feed off the LNB did the trick. Not sure if the cable feed was bad or the cable itself that I was tied into.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)