H23 with SWM How to Distribute SD Signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DaveD

Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Illinois
Hey guys!
I'm a noobie here and I have just gone back to DTV after a one year hiatus with Comcast. They installed an AU9S 3LNB slimline dish (SWM) and 2 H23 receivers. (those are supposed to be the latest version. Right?)
Anyway. I'm trying to distribute the SD signal to my structured wire system using Channel Plus 5415s and the picture quality sucks big time! Is there a backfeed issue here because of the SWM having a power inserter, or am I missing something.
I'm using CATV frequencies on the 5415 modulators, but there is mucho ghosting and herringbone. Overdriving the signal? Something I need to do as far as TV setup??
Hellllllpppppp!

Thanks!:confused:

Your signals are overlapping, you will need separate runs to run CATV and D*. Very rarely do they work diplexed on the same line.

Figured It Out!

Duh!!:eureka
There's a difference between channel 65 UHF and Channel 65 on CATV.
Had to reset all TVs to the correct signal input, and make sure the modulator was set to the correct frequency. Also have to pick an empty channel. RG6 will pick up OTA UHF signals even if it's not connected to an antenna.
Thanks for the response Zynergi. I was afraid nobody would even notice my plight :cool:

and just so ya know... the swm stuff uses lower freqs than the regular directv stuff... so you will have to find a channel that the swm is not using

you shouldnt diplex with swm at all...

Works fine for me. Even before I went to SWM8's I was diplexing by putting the BBC's back at the WB68 and then connecting a diplexor then another one down at the STB to split it back out, again without any problems.

SWM works alot differently than the Ka/Ku band dish. (Forewarning, this explanation may be very boring to some.)

(clears throat)

The Ka Band is what is now used to carry Hidef signals because it can support mpeg4 which allows more channels at a better quality, the Ka Band is then spereated into both a Hi band and a Lo Band. the purpose of a BBC is to convert the Lo Band into the High Band so the receivers can understand what their receiving. This is why the H(r)23 series has "wide band" tuners, so that it can read the Lo Band natively. Now back to the frequency talk, OTA Broadcasting and Basic (Maybe digital, but im not a cable tech) both share the same frequency RANGE as the Ka Lo Band. Keyword is Range, just because most of the channels seem fine doesnt mean there isnt a problem. To work around this some techs that know what theyre doing would put the bbc directly after the switch or after the dishes entry point to the home and then into a diplexers sat in port, this way the signals going into the diplexer are only Ku and Ka Hi. so there is no interfierence possible. BUT, (you know there was a but comming) if you ever install any 23 hardware or anything beyond that once its released everything goes kerpluie. since the 23 receivers can read the lo band they "look" for it, and if they dont find it... 771..... and we all know what that means.... Hope that helped..

Edit, i forgot to talk about swm...

the swm setup uses frequencies ranging from 2.3mhz and yes thats two and three tenths megahertz, all the way up to 2250mhz. the lower frequencies carry the independant channels, and by channels i mean the 8 (placeholders) cant think of a better term atm. for an available tuner, and dvrs count as 2 dont forget, so you have the receiver talking to the dish via these low frequencies just to say hey im changing from usa to tnt. Personally I wouldnt want to mess with that setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)