h24 and 1 mirror question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

aocch3

Original poster
Sep 8, 2014
I have a very simple setup with 1 h24-500 receiver hooked up to sl5 dish with swm. I would like to mirror a receiver in the bedroom. I would like to do this without having to pay directtv another 6 dollars a month. What is the cheapest and simplest way of going about this.

Do you mean "mirror" as in same programming or different programming? Different programming means a receiver and that will be $6 a month whatever you do...

I am fine with it being the same programming. I can set the channel I want on the h24 and watch that on whatever receiver is in the bedroom. I'm thinking an h25. I feel fairly certain I can't use a wireless genie mini with my h24 , but that would work best for me if I could.

No, you can't use another receiver (or a mini) to do this. You will need to run a cable from the H24 to the other TV - what's the distance involved?

It's an old house and would be very difficult to run a cable. I was thinking I could use the existing outside cabling from when I had cable which wraps around the house. Sounds like that is not a good idea. I guess I'm looking at needing a genie server and a client. Do the clients cost 6 dollars per month as well?

Only way to mirror 2 tv's would be to run a long hdmi cable w/hdmi splitter or component(red,blue,green) cable
if it's for a SD tv then composite RCA(red,white,yellow) cable if the tv have composite input
if not then you can buy a cheap RF modulator.

Every receiver (Genie or client) is $6 per month. But another HD receiver (like the H25) would be fine too, you don't need a genie.
But if you call DirecTv and ask, you might get the Genie plus client upgrade free, plus the dish or LNB upgrade you might also need..
Unless you are going to use a wireless client (more expensive up-front lease fee) you are going to have to run some sort of cable anyway. Either a DirecTV coax (if you want a receiver or client) or an HDMI or composite cable.

From your questions, I'm not certain you fully understand how all of this might work. Post back with any questions you have.

Reactions: sean427812
If you do the cables route I'd recommend staying with HDMI or component. Using RCA cables will give a message about non-hd cables when trying to access the guide and such.

I setup my parents with a SD TV mirrored off an HD receiver and used a component -> RCA, then an RCA -> RF Modulator to setup theirs and avoid this message. A bit of an annoying setup and cost about $50, but they were insistent on avoiding the $6/month fee of an additional receiver.

You can easily use two outputs on the receivers though, if you can get a wire to the other location.

For my bedroom I mirror the genie receive in my office using a 35' HDMI cable and HDMI splitter, works fine.

Agree with jcrandall on this one. HDMI with a splitter is the best cables solution. Then the HDMI plus component one. With a component connection, you may still have problems on premium channels (HBO etc) because they use HDCP copy protection, and if you switch the HDMI-connected TV off, the H24 might close down all the outputs.

Agree with jcrandall on this one. HDMI with a splitter is the best cables solution. Then the HDMI plus component one. With a component connection, you may still have problems on premium channels (HBO etc) because they use HDCP copy protection, and if you switch the HDMI-connected TV off, the H24 might close down all the outputs.
As long as the recvr stays on, you should be OK.

All outputs are hot when the recvr is on.

As long as the recvr stays on, you should be OK.

All outputs are hot when the recvr is on.
All outputs are hot, but if the HDMI connection fails the HDCP test (happens with most TVs when they are on standby) the receiver might close down all the outputs. Certainly happens on my HR20 with HBO....

All outputs are hot, but if the HDMI connection fails the HDCP test (happens with most TVs when they are on standby) the receiver might close down all the outputs. Certainly happens on my HR20 with HBO....
Hmmm ... not sure .

I suppose I could try it.

edit:
Scratch that, I can't try it, I forgot I have Component from one recvr to the other set ...
Then again, I can still try it, this would check to see if the outputs stay on . (I understand that the HDMI works different)

Well, that was a dumb thought ...
Of course its gonna work, as long as the recvr is on, with component, theres no connection issues to deal with.

Just to be clear, if I were to get an HR44 and a c41, I would have to pay an additional 6 for the c41?

Every receiver of any sort including the C41 will cost you $6 a month. In addition, if you get a Genie, you will pay for whole home service. which I think is $3 a month. And you would also pay for DVR service, since you don't have it now, which is I believe $10 per month.

I have discussed this item in previous threads. Check out the "MY WIRELESS TV" unit. I use one for my tv in the patio enclosure. It consists of a sender connected to the box and a receiver connected to the patio tv. Using the box's remote, I have a full functioning DTV box essentially for that tv. And the HD quality is as good as the box being directly connected to a tv. Of course you have the up front purchase price but no monthly fees. You will recoup that purchase price in about a year depending on what kind of purchase deal you can find. And installation is simple enough for any dummy to do.

That looks like a good solution. Still need an HDMI splitter......

If he wants to connect two TVs, one via HDMI and the other via the My Wireless Tv HDMI kit, that needs a splitter.

No it does not. The sending unit does it. You disconnect the HDMI cable coming from the DTV box to the back of the tv. You plug it into the back of the sending unit. Then you add another HDMI cable from the back of the sending unit back to the tv. The sending unit then will pass the DTV signal on to tv#1 and wirelessly send the signal to the remote tv#2. I have had this for about 6 months now, and it works great. HD quality is as good as a direct hook-up. I haven't done this, but I believe you can purchase and add additional receiving units to other TV's.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)