H25-500 receiver questions (Camping setup)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JimInMich

Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
Mid Michigan
Hi

Just came back to DirecTv from a short stint with Dish ( 5 months ). Happy to get the new H34!

I had the installer put a 2nd reciever in the garage, and he ran a splitter/cable to he other end of my garage so I can hook up the cable to my camper while it's at home ( use the camper as a guest house ). I got the RF type remotes so I didnt have to move the cable box back/forth from garage to camper while at home.

Will I be able to use the H25-500 with it's own dish when we leave to go camping? Just making sure it's not dependant on the H34 to recieve signal.

I still have my older dish ( Slim Line ), but installer stated I would need a new LNB ( SWM ) to use it for camping. Where is the best place to get this LNB? Anything else I would need, besides a tripod to put the dish on?

He was correct the H-25 is a SWM only receiver
You will also need a power inserter to power the swm lnb
Hang on to the old lnb It could be useful when pointing the dish (unless you have a $400 to $1200 professional sat meter)
Most tripods use a pipe diameter too small for the slim line dish, you may need some sort of adapter and with a dish of that size some way to tie it down or it will be destroyed when the wind blows it over.
If you have a smart phone download the "dish pointer pro" app

As stated, you will need a SWM setup for the H25. I drag along our bedroom HR24 when we go in the motorhome. Since I was new to satellite reception and DirecTV, I went with a SWM setup for the motorhome to mimic what I have at home. With the SWM LNB you need to either use the meter in your receiver or an external one. The cheap meters won't do. I use an Accutrac Pro 22 with an ASL-1 unit, which is about the least expensive alternative for meters. I bought this one because I saw it in one of the DirecTV installation videos. It is fine for occasional use.

But, here is where it gets dicey. I have a SWM3 at home, but I bought a SWM5 for the RV. I did this because the ASL-1 only has feeds for sats 101 (used for the main alignment) and 119 (used for the tilt). A recent thread has pointed out that tilt is probably close enough if you just use the number you get for dishpointer.com or from your receiver (when you enter the zip for where you are located). So, just getting the SWM3 may be enough. You need a tripod with a 2" diameter pole. These are supposedly built stronger than the other tripods. Mine doesn't look that heavy, but I have had it up in some pretty gusty winds and it works just fine. Plus, as was noted, you need a Power Inserter for the SWM head. Since you will just have a direct line from your dish to your receiver, you don't need a splitter.

As an aside, you will be really surprised how big that dish is when you try to find storage space for it in your camper. I stored mine on the bed for a couple of trips until I was able to make room for it in the basement.

Last edited:
Have you tried storing it UNDER the bed ?
I have a slideout mechanism under the bed and trying to lift a queen size mattress is a real pain in the neck. I know it is probably not approved to put it on the bed in case of an accident, but it would have to travel about 35 feet to get up front to where I drive. But, like I said, I store in below now.

I have a slideout mechanism under the bed and trying to lift a queen size mattress is a real pain in the neck. I know it is probably not approved to put it on the bed in case of an accident, but it would have to travel about 35 feet to get up front to where I drive. But, like I said, I store in below now.

No I didn't mean under as in outside.
Don't you have a built in box (storage area ) under the mattress ?
Ours is set up with hydraulics (?) that help hold the bed up for storing things under, much like the doors to the basement outside.

It was just a thought ... you got it figured out and your right, it would be quite a sight to see what may cause the dish to make it all the way to the front of the Motorhome !

The phase III 3lnb dish works very well as a system. You can file off the tab of the slimline 3 lab and slide it onto the arm of the Phase III dish. You can also create a notch on the arm for the lab if that is easier than filing off the tab. Signal on the 99 and 103 will be lower but for a camper dish it will be a excellent solution. I have set up one at home to experiment with it. Rainy days are a problem sometimes on the 99 satellite but for the most part I think that using this dish for camping, or in situations you just cannot use the larger slimline dish, it is perfect. You also don't have to have a 2 inch mast. You can use the 1 7/8 mast tripod.

The phase III 3lnb dish works very well as a system. You can file off the tab of the slimline 3 lab and slide it onto the arm of the Phase III dish. You can also create a notch on the arm for the lab if that is easier than filing off the tab. Signal on the 99 and 103 will be lower but for a camper dish it will be a excellent solution. I have set up one at home to experiment with it. Rainy days are a problem sometimes on the 99 satellite but for the most part I think that using this dish for camping, or in situations you just cannot use the larger slimline dish, it is perfect. You also don't have to have a 2 inch mast. You can use the 1 7/8 mast tripod.

Thats 1 5/8 mast for the tripods not using a 2".

No I didn't mean under as in outside.
Don't you have a built in box (storage area ) under the mattress ?
Ours is set up with hydraulics (?) that help hold the bed up for storing things under, much like the doors to the basement outside.

It was just a thought ... you got it figured out and your right, it would be quite a sight to see what may cause the dish to make it all the way to the front of the Motorhome !

Bob,
I basically take the 4 bolts out of the mount and put the reflector under the bed and lay the rest inside as well, or elsewhere if needed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)