H25-500 Tailgate Install Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would but I wouldn't want to sit there and mess with it since I obviously have no idea what I'm doing haha. I figured I'd go get it tomorrow and bring it home tomorrow night to mess with it. I wish i would have known earlier what dish I needed and hope I didn't wait too long to figure it all out by Saturday. I don't think there is much to figure out now other than dish alignment (as long as the dish is SWM as he says it is), and how I am going to mount it.

Do you have a tripod yet ?

I am extremely new to satellite ...
I would seriously consider another alternative. If this is a one-day only situation, and given your level of experience you will probably find that you need a missing piece of equipment and will likely spend most of the day trying to get everything setup. It really is not that difficult, but it takes some level of experience to get everything setup in a reasonable amount of time. You probably won't have time to get the experience you need in time for the event.

As pointed out the easiest of the alternatives you have offered is the HR24 with a non-SWM Slimline dish for HD. But if your HR24 is on a SWM system (which you did not specify), you still need to know how reconfigure it to a basic Slimline dish for your one-day event. And then reconfigure it for your home setting.

If you try the H25 it is SWM only and you would need a SWM Slimline setup. This is not an inexpensive investment for one day.

Probably better to just enjoy the time with your friends and skip the TV.

I think he will be okay as long as he tries to set it up a few times the day before. That way he has everything he needs, and knows how to set it up.

What I was planning on doing is using the h25 with a tripod (which I do have) with the swm dish that I posted earlier. The gentleman that is selling it took a picture of the lnb to show me the swm sticker on it and he said he also has the power inserter for it as well. I have the tv, generator, hdmi cable and enough coax to wire a small apartment complex. I am in no way new to A/V setups but just dish in general. I will have everything tonight and will have all day tomorrow to hook it up and test any known issues and worst case scenario, we run rabbit ears for local HD programming and I'm out the $40 it cost me for the dish. I do have a satellite locator on my phone and whether it works or not, it'll give me a general direction to start in. What other things could I possibly need or run into? Preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best.

As long as you have all day tomorrow to hook it up, should not be too difficult.

As long as the mast/pole it came off of was level, and your tripod is level, should only have to move the dish left or right, the elevation and skew of the dish should not need adjusted.

kneeland24 said:
What I was planning on doing is using the h25 with a tripod (which I do have) with the swm dish that I posted earlier. The gentleman that is selling it took a picture of the lnb to show me the swm sticker on it and he said he also has the power inserter for it as well. I have the tv, generator, hdmi cable and enough coax to wire a small apartment complex. I am in no way new to A/V setups but just dish in general. I will have everything tonight and will have all day tomorrow to hook it up and test any known issues and worst case scenario, we run rabbit ears for local HD programming and I'm out the $40 it cost me for the dish. I do have a satellite locator on my phone and whether it works or not, it'll give me a general direction to start in. What other things could I possibly need or run into? Preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best.

Just checking, your tripod will handle a 2" mast ....
Most tripods handle 1 5/8 post.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

coinmaster32 said:
As long as you have all day tomorrow to hook it up, should not be too difficult.

As long as the mast/pole it came off of was level, and your tripod is level, should only have to move the dish left or right, the elevation and skew of the dish should not need adjusted.

If he bought a new dish from someone, he will have to set the Tilt and Azmith.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

kneeland24,
The key to a successful setup is getting lined up on sat 101. Job 1 is making sure your tripod pole is perfectly vertical. I use a pole level which makes the job quicker, but a small torpedo level can be used just as well. Keep adjusting until the level shows a true vertical wherever you put it on the pole. While you are setting everything, make sure that you secure the tripod so that it will not move when you put the dish on it. Slide the dish onto the tripod and make sure that it can be rotated without binding or being too loose. I typically make all the hookups at this point. I assume you are not using a meter so just connect up everything like you are going to use it. Next, I use this site for getting my settings. You just enter the location of your dish and set the satellite number. Make sure that the satellite setting is for 101W DIRECTV 4S | DIRECTV 9S. I just set the elevation adjustment on the dish to the number on the site. Next you need to set the azimuth using a compass based on the magnetic setting given on the Satellite Finder site. With just these basic settings you should see the meter on your receiver start to register a signal. Move the dish back and forth for the best signal on the azimuth. Tighten the bolts holding the dish on the pole at the highest setting. Adjust the elevation for the best signal on your receiver. Tighten the bolts holding the azimuth frame. Now change your receiver to show your signal strength on sat 103. Adjust the skew for the best signal. Tighten the skew bolts so the dish does not move. Check your reception. If you are satisfied you are done. (This is typically as far as I go when setting up my dish when we are on the road in the RV.)

If you think it needs more "fine tuning" you can do what is called dithering. Dithering is adjusting the bolts with those black dials on them for the best signal strength. There is a procedure for doing it the right way, but if you just keep adjusting them clockwise or counter-clockwise until you get the best reading you are doing what the procedure says to do. You can do this for both the elevation and azimuth.

At this point you should have a very nice picture.
Enjoy,
Bob

P.S. You got one heck of a deal if you got a slimline dish, SWM LNB, dish mount and power inserter for $40. You can easily sell it for that amount when you are done with it.

Last edited:
Thanks so much to everyone that helped out. I was a little worried when I couldnt get any sort of signal at first but after adjusting the dish a bit I was able to get it pointed correctly enough and everything worked perfectly. I cannot tell you how many people were coming up asking me how I got it to work and wanted me to help them with theirs. I really want to thank everyone again, we received a lot of positive comments on our setup and drew a nice crowd before we headed into the stadium and witnessed one if the better games of the season! I attached a picture of the setup.

Turned out great!

ForumRunner_20111031_074723.png

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts