h25 install question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

craiggers14

Original poster
May 16, 2012
NY
Here's my situation - My grandparents have directv and are upgrading one of their tvs to HD. Yes I know. Anyway- they asked me to help them out with the purchase of the tv and upgrading the box, etc. I plan on sourcing a h25 owned box from ebay (called the access card team with RID# to verify). About 18-24 months ago, they had a new dish put on the house (don't know why) that is supposedly HD capable.

Personally, I've never had satellite because cable + internet has always been cheaper, but where they live (400 mi away) satellite is their only option. My knowledge on directv equipment is limited to what I've read about in the last week or so. I will be traveling to stay with them in about 2 weeks for a visit.

My question is - with the h25 being only SWM compatible - can I count on the new-ish dish having the SWM capability? Is there a cut-off date that after a certain point all the dishes that directv installed are SWM? If not - then what other receiver would be best for them? Looking for something that's fast and relatively issue free since any fixing would probably require a service call. Looking for just the HD receivers - they aren't interested in a DVR.

Make sure that they have a Slimline dish. Then find out if they have a SWM LNB(one cable running out) or an LNB with 4 cables running out. What you find out after this is if they want just a HD receiver or a HD DVR. After finding out if they have a Slimline dish,if they want a DVR & only have one TV that will be HD,you can order for them a DIRECTiVo THR22-100. If they just want a HD receiver,the H25 will only work if they have a SWM LNB(SL3-SWM or SL5-SWM with one cable running out). If they have the LNB(SL3 or SL5) with 4 cables running out,you can order the H24 receiver. They will also need a B-Band Converter to put between the coaxial cable & the satellite input of the receiver(if they go with the DIRECTiVo,the SWM LNB only requires them to attach the coaxial cable to the satellite one input,the 4-cable LNB requires them to have 2 B-Band Converters to place between the 2 coaxial cables that you'll hook up to your DVR's satellite 1 & satellite 2 inputs).

craiggers14 said:
Here's my situation - My grandparents have directv and are upgrading one of their tvs to HD. Yes I know. Anyway- they asked me to help them out with the purchase of the tv and upgrading the box, etc. I plan on sourcing a h25 owned box from ebay (called the access card team with RID# to verify). About 18-24 months ago, they had a new dish put on the house (don't know why) that is supposedly HD capable.

Personally, I've never had satellite because cable + internet has always been cheaper, but where they live (400 mi away) satellite is their only option. My knowledge on directv equipment is limited to what I've read about in the last week or so. I will be traveling to stay with them in about 2 weeks for a visit.

My question is - with the h25 being only SWM compatible - can I count on the new-ish dish having the SWM capability? Is there a cut-off date that after a certain point all the dishes that directv installed are SWM? If not - then what other receiver would be best for them? Looking for something that's fast and relatively issue free since any fixing would probably require a service call. Looking for just the HD receivers - they aren't interested in a DVR.

There is not a cutoff. If they have any legacy receivers at time if upgrade then they won't have SWM. They'll have an older style slimeline 3 or 5 depending on programming. If they have the older style all HD boxes are about the same. I personally would recommend an H24 just because it's smaller.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)