H25 Whole House Freeze

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bogy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
Thursday we had a Whole House installation done. An HR24 and three H25s were installed. Last night (Saturday) was the first time we had something recorded and actually were going to watch something recorded on the H25 in our bedroom. I was less than pleased when the result looked like trying to watch streaming video on dial up. Three seconds of video, then freeze for five seconds, then three more seconds of video, five more second of freeze...
I've searched the threads here and on another forum, and the closest symptoms I've found seem to be caused by plugging an ethernet cable into the H25. This is not the problem. Watching real time TV does not cause this problem, the picture is great. Watching a recorded program on the other 2 H25s or the HR24 does not result in this problem, although the other H25s are connected with component cables in SD. The problem box is connected by HDMI, and the problem is more significant with HD recordings, while it is present in SD to a lesser extent.

The cable from the dish is split outside the house, with one cable going to our upstairs, where the H25 having problems is located, and the other cable going into the basement. There it is connected to a four outlet splitter, with the power inserter plugged into one outlet and the three cables going to the other three boxes plugged into the remaining three outlets. Both splitters have green labels.

Does anyone have any idea what my problem is? Has anyone run into this before? I have not called Directv yet, that is on the agenda for tomorrow, but if I could get some idea of what the problem is, or if it's something simple I can take care of, that would be great.

Try rebooting both receivers (red button under right access door).

If that doesn't help I would call DirecTV back out. Something is affecting the network, perhaps cable length too long or they screwed something up on the install.

I ran the network system test and got a diagnostic code 48-72-995. Not surprisingly it says the bedroom receiver has reduced network performance. Tomorrow I will call and hopefully find out what the code means and what needs to be done.

Try rebooting both receivers (red button under right access door).

If that doesn't help I would call DirecTV back out. Something is affecting the network, perhaps cable length too long or they screwed something up on the install.

H25 doesnt have access doors. Red button above card on right hand side. Hr24 does have access door.

It sounds like you were trying to watch the streaming video b4 is was completely finished downloading. With lower internet speeds this will cause problems.

I dont know why they would install a ICK (DCCK) on Dial-up anyway but that's just me.

H25 doesnt have access doors. Red button above card on right hand side. Hr24 does have access door.

It sounds like you were trying to watch the streaming video b4 is was completely finished downloading. With lower internet speeds this will cause problems.

I dont know why they would install a ICK (DCCK) on Dial-up anyway but that's just me.
No, the programs I am trying to watch are fully recorded. I don't have dial-up, haven't had dial-up for 15 years, that was just an example of the effect. It LOOKS like trying to watch streaming video on a slow connection. The speed of my internet is not an issue.

I just got off the phone with customer support. Less than encouraging. It took several tries before she started to get a clue what I was experiencing. She directed me to run the ethernet cable directly from the DECA adapter to the back of the HR24. This was obviously not the answer. The cable running to the HR24 is screwed into a splitter, one outlet of the splitter leads to the HR24, the other to the DECA. She said the DECA should not be attached to a splitter. I am now waiting for a call back from a field rep. Hopefully somebody who knows more than the first person did.

I was reading threads on the Directv forums, and tried what I probably should have done sooner. I switched out on of the other H25s with the one having problems. No problems. Played back recorded programing without any stutter.

Talked with another person at D*, someone is supposed to call in the next 24 hours to schedule a service call.

Last edited:
No, the programs I am trying to watch are fully recorded. I don't have dial-up, haven't had dial-up for 15 years, that was just an example of the effect. It LOOKS like trying to watch streaming video on a slow connection. The speed of my internet is not an issue.

I just got off the phone with customer support. Less than encouraging. It took several tries before she started to get a clue what I was experiencing. She directed me to run the ethernet cable directly from the DECA adapter to the back of the HR24. This was obviously not the answer. The cable running to the HR24 is screwed into a splitter, one outlet of the splitter leads to the HR24, the other to the DECA. She said the DECA should not be attached to a splitter. I am now waiting for a call back from a field rep. Hopefully somebody who knows more than the first person did.

It's amazing to me that DirecTV customer support still has no clue how MRV works. They should not be giving technical advice. I'm glad you did not listen to them. That would have screwed you up worse.

Glad you figured out your issue, sounds like a bad box.

It's amazing to me that DirecTV customer support still has no clue how MRV works. They should not be giving technical advice. I'm glad you did not listen to them. That would have screwed you up worse.

Glad you figured out your issue, sounds like a bad box.
Yep, it looks like a bad box, because the one I put into our bedroom is working fine in that location, but the one with problems is in our office (where I don't watch recorded programs nearly as much) and it has the same problem there.

Now my only problem is that I got a call from somebody Monday morning that someone would call in 24 hours to set up a service call. That call came Tuesday morning just after 8. He said he could have someone out that morning. I said that would be nice, but I was going to be out of town all morning, but the afternoon or Wednesday would work. He said he would call back with a time for me. I am still waiting. I have left two messages on voice mail, and have still not received at least a call telling me when someone might be coming. Less than impressed with their response.

Bogy,
You have a lot of posts and have been around for quite a while so I imagine that you have already done all the basic things. But, I am still unclear about how you have your internet connection involved with your SWM network. You definitely do not want to hook it to the back of the HR24. That will shut down the DECA in that box and cripple the whole MRV setup. Secondly, it is important to "reboot" any receiver that is on the "network". I don't know about the H25s, but your HR24 will establish a "working" ip address when it is not connected to a router. But, when you connect it to a router it needs to get its address from the router rather than the id it creates on its own. This seems to clog up things too.

While it may be that you have a bad receiver, I would at least try disconnecting any outside network to your system. Make sure that there are no open connections on any splitter or cable. (All ports on the splitters need the terminating resistors on them.) Then I would reboot the entire system and see if that helps. If that makes things work, then you can reconnect the internet connection. Just be aware that you will need to at least reboot the HR24 and possibly the whole system again.

Bob

Bogy,
You have a lot of posts and have been around for quite a while so I imagine that you have already done all the basic things. But, I am still unclear about how you have your internet connection involved with your SWM network. You definitely do not want to hook it to the back of the HR24. That will shut down the DECA in that box and cripple the whole MRV setup. Secondly, it is important to "reboot" any receiver that is on the "network". I don't know about the H25s, but your HR24 will establish a "working" ip address when it is not connected to a router. But, when you connect it to a router it needs to get its address from the router rather than the id it creates on its own. This seems to clog up things too.

While it may be that you have a bad receiver, I would at least try disconnecting any outside network to your system. Make sure that there are no open connections on any splitter or cable. (All ports on the splitters need the terminating resistors on them.) Then I would reboot the entire system and see if that helps. If that makes things work, then you can reconnect the internet connection. Just be aware that you will need to at least reboot the HR24 and possibly the whole system again.

Bob
No, my internet is NOT connected to the back of the HR24. When the D* "Tec" directed me to do that, I knew she really didn't know what she was talking about. I have not rebooted everything when the HR24 was not connected to my home network. I had thought that possibly I was getting conflicts with ip addresses. My wife had a notification come up on her desktop screen at the beginning of the week. One of the kids had a birthday on Sunday so we had three extra people with laptops on the wireless over the weekend. However, everything has been rebooted several times since then. In fact, two of the H25s have been switched. The one that was good is still good, and the one having problems is still having the same problems. I have not seen any open ports on any splitters.

Yesterday I called the 800 # for customer service and got a service call set up for Monday morning. This morning I finally got a call back from the person who called me last Tuesday, who was supposed to call me back to tell me when someone was supposed to come. He had no idea why I wanted to talk to him. Evidently he had never made a note that he was supposed to call me back and had no memory of it.

The installer came out Monday, checked out the H25, and switched it out for an H24. He said they have run into this before. It's working fine, nothing else wrong with the system. I'm just glad to have everything working.

I just got off the phone with DTV support and I had the same issue of the H25 freezing. For my network I had redundant Ethernet cables plugged into my receivers (HR22 and HR34) and they caused issues with the streaming of recorded content to the H25. If you have a special piece of equipment from DTV which you should, it connects all receivers from your router via Coax to splitter. Do not connect your router/modem directly to any receiver. Once you unplug this cable you will need to go to network setup -> Restore default -> run network setup. It should tell you that you are connected to the internet without your direct connection to the internet. It is now fixed, not anything to do with specific equipment but too many cables!

I just got off the phone with DTV support and I had the same issue of the H25 freezing. For my network I had redundant Ethernet cables plugged into my receivers (HR22 and HR34) and they caused issues with the streaming of recorded content to the H25. If you have a special piece of equipment from DTV which you should, it connects all receivers from your router via Coax to splitter. Do not connect your router/modem directly to any receiver. Once you unplug this cable you will need to go to network setup -> Restore default -> run network setup. It should tell you that you are connected to the internet without your direct connection to the internet. It is now fixed, not anything to do with specific equipment but too many cables!

Yes, if you connect ethernet cables to multiple receivers as well as using the DECA for whole home it will create big problems.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts