H3 "Internet Connection Required"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lazydogmot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
N/E Florida
When we try to access an app, we get the pop up "Internet Connection Required" even though we do have an internet connection. The internet is through the Dish usb wifi connector. The Internet Connection reads OK and is around 67 most of the time (sometimes yellow, sometimes green). We have internet speeds of 50+ down and 10+ up. Bridging is enabled. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks, Tom

I thought WiFi was built into the H3 and you don't need a USB adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it is, it is also built in to H2 (HWS) but the connector helped with that. Tried it without the connector on H3 and found it needed some help. Although 67 with the connector isn't that great.

Really? I got it from the Dish store after we got the H3. Their ad says "Compatible receiver models: Hopper3". It also says "Item is not refundable". Well F me.

Screen Shot 2016-03-22 at 4.36.11 PM.png

If WiFi is built in, why would you need one? Are you saying that on prior models, the Adapter gave you better network speeds than the built in WiFi?

I don't know. I used one of those on my Hopper 1. It sits it the drawer with my H3. I would try it without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried resetting the network, no luck. We have a dual band (2.4 & 5.0) A/C router and have tried switching back and forth between separate bands and "steering" for the 5.0 and no luck there either. Standing next to the H3, my iPhone gets a reading of 82 Mbps (2.4) and 90 Mbps (5.0). It seems that our router is sending a good signal that far.

P.S. What does Signal Strength 60 mean? And why is the same strength sometimes Green and sometimes Yellow?

60 is a good strength. If going green to yellow, try resetting your modem and router. Also reset receiver. After that reset the whole network.

ChadT41, did everything you suggested and signal still goes from green to yellow and back. And, the original problem of "no internet available" when trying to use an app still exists.

I had the same problem with the signal strength. It was about 60, going from yellow to green. VOD was not available. I solved the problem with a Netgear WiFi extender. There was one glitch. I had to plug an ethernet cable into the bottom of the extender then to the Hopper. I recently download a two hour HD movie in under five minutes. The internet connection is solid & never been dropped.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX6120.aspx

DWS44, it is all apps. Sometimes we are able to use them but about 90% of the time it says that our internet is not available.

cpdretired, we had a couple net work extenders (one a dual band) but gave them away when we got our current router/modem (ARRIS SBG6782-AC) because it ended all our network problems with our H2. I guess the H3 is a whole different story. It reminds me of upgrading a Windows O/S.

cpdretired, I got a Netgear EX6200 that has five (5) LAN ports on the back. Now H3, Fire TV and our Sony are connected via ethernet cable to the extender and working very well. Thanks for your help.

Tom

Reactions: DWS44
I had a problem with wi-fi on Hopper 3 as well. My Hopper with Sling had an excellent wi-fi signal, but when the tech hooked up my Hopper 3 in the exact same location the wi-fi signal was abysmal despite the fact my router is only about 15 feet away. Either my unit is defective or there has been a design change between the two units. The resulting internet throughput was so poor I eventually broke down and fished an ethernet cable through the walls.

Since I hooked up the extender five days ago, we have had no problems with apps or streaming audio or video. I did a check this morning and my download speed from the extender through ethernet cables to the H3 was 54Mbps. So if the extender can put out a speed that high right next to the H3, why can't the H3 get a speed equal to that wirelessly? The HWS did!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)