H44 & C41W combo - pros & cons?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SparkDr

Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Upstate NY
Looking to upgrade my equipment from my current single H25 receiver to a 2 or 3 genie system setup. Recording capability not desired or needed so DirecTv customer service has recommended an H44 with C41W genie's. No other equipment was mentioned but there must be some sort of gateway or something for them to communicate. If so, what is it? I'd also like to hear any opinions about these components. Things like "it's being replaced by something newer next month" would be nice to know. I've got a current subscription commitment on my account through early 2016, so I'd be paying full retail on the upgraded equipment to the tune of about $700 unless there's another option that I'm unaware of. Obviously, I'd like to dot my I's and cross my T's on this with as much info as possible before swallowing that pill. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I should have added that this setup will be used in an RV. Cabling would be impossible to each location (main living area, bedroom, outside).

Looking to upgrade my equipment from my current single H25 receiver to a 2 or 3 genie system setup. Recording capability not desired or needed so DirecTv customer service has recommended an H44 with C41W genie's. No other equipment was mentioned but there must be some sort of gateway or something for them to communicate. If so, what is it? I'd also like to hear any opinions about these components. Things like "it's being replaced by something newer next month" would be nice to know. I've got a current subscription commitment on my account through early 2016, so I'd be paying full retail on the upgraded equipment to the tune of about $700 unless there's another option that I'm unaware of. Obviously, I'd like to dot my I's and cross my T's on this with as much info as possible before swallowing that pill. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
While the Genie DVR and [wireless] Genie minis represent an excellent setup, there are some things to be aware of:
  • There can presently be only one Genie DVR at any given location. However, there can be any number of other receivers mixed in with the Genie DVR topology via a device called a SWiM (please google this word for additional information -- it would be wise for you to do this now if you haven't already);
  • Since only one Genie DVR is allowed per location, it's very wise to make sure that there is at least one other receiver (not wired/wireless Genie mini) in the setup. This is because if the Genie DVR goes down, you are completely out of service except for non-Genie-associated receivers/DVRs (i.e.: the Genie minis rely solely on the Genie DVR for their service);
  • While the Genie DVR is a 5-tuner DVR, since it relies upon a SWiM device, that means that each tuner is essentially a multiplexed "channel" across one physical coaxial cable running to the Genie DVR;
  • The Genie minis communicate with the Genie DVR either over coax (wired) or via a DirecTV-branded Wireless Video Bridge (WVB);
  • The WVB uses the coaxial cable exclusively for its connectivity -- there is no usage of wifi of any sort for their communications to/from the Genie DVR;
  • The wireless Genie mini is *fantastic* in its wireless reception of video signals. We have had ours since May, 2014 and have had zero issues with it, even across floors.
While I believe the H55 (if that's the right model number) is going to be released soon by DirecTV, understand that the new device is essentially a Genie DVR minus the hard drive. In fact, it turns into a DVR by plugging in a DirecTV-branded hard drive to it. I see it as a competitor (in hardware only) to the Apple TV; other than that, the two devices are completely different.

For us, the Genie DVR (specifically the HR44) is one of the few times that I was perfectly happy with getting back into a two-year contract with DirecTV; we think it's that good. Plus, with whole-home DVR, we're able to see our recordings across any device we have connected to the SWiM topology.

Further, we were able to get our complete upgrade (1 Genie DVR and 1 wireless mini) for the cost of installing the WVB (DirecTV makes you pay that) and nothing more. Then again, we've been with DirecTV for more than 10 years; your mileage may vary.

I hope this helps!

The Genie without the disk drive is the H44, as mentioned by the OP. A DirecTV-branded 1Tb drive turns it into a DVR.

One thing you can do with the H44 is to add an AM21/AM21N to the H44 and access your local OTA channels via the clients.

Why don't you want to go with the DVR version of the Genie? IMHO it adds a lot of functionality like on demand content, restart on a number of channels, double play for example.

the H44 does not incur the $25/mo charge. as for the WVB ($99) charge, the protection plan covers that cost (if you're up for or near upgrade time). also, if you have any 4k TV's there are 4k wired clients now as well, just something to chew on. now, if you're using this exclusively in a RV, the wireless ones are the way to go. i'd say you probably only really *need* 1 wireless and you can just move it back and forth between TV's when needed. just pick up a spare power supply for the reciever and then you can just unplug and replug, viola! but if thats more effort than you want to put into it, an extra 6.50 a month wont kill you.

You still get the HD charge. And everyone I know has had to pay the $99 for the WVB even if they were on the protection plan, if that's not the case that's good news...

the H44 does not incur the $25/mo charge. as for the WVB ($99) charge, the protection plan covers that cost (if you're up for or near upgrade time). also, if you have any 4k TV's there are 4k wired clients now as well, just something to chew on. now, if you're using this exclusively in a RV, the wireless ones are the way to go. i'd say you probably only really *need* 1 wireless and you can just move it back and forth between TV's when needed. just pick up a spare power supply for the reciever and then you can just unplug and replug, viola! but if thats more effort than you want to put into it, an extra 6.50 a month wont kill you.

uh.. the protection plan doesn't cover the mandatory $99 for the wireless video bridge. even customers who are eligible for Genie + 3 wireless minis through the protection plan are paying for the WVB.

uh.. the protection plan doesn't cover the mandatory $99 for the wireless video bridge. even customers who are eligible for Genie + 3 wireless minis through the protection plan are paying for the WVB.
I was 99.9% sure this was the case but Zashel seems to think otherwise.

Reactions: harmlesslyfatal
I think that is also because the WVB is "owned" not leased...

i went and asked my buddy who'se an installer, he says otherwise. *shrug* 2nd hand knowledge, take it or leave it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts