had a local ad in the local paper for buds..

Status
Please reply by conversation.
There are other alternatives... like forward air or others of that nature that will probably be cheaper. People ship appliances/etc that are much heavier for much less through other not so common carriers, so maybe check around a bit

This is one reason why most of the big dish manufacturers have gone out of business. No distributor wants to stock 50 antennas at a time, and the only way to get fair pricing on sectional mesh antennas is to haul a truckload.

UPS and FedEX are geared towards small parcels, with the prices getting outrageous once you have a box of the size that contains a 90 cm offset dish.
We've had the best luck with BAX GLOBAL air freight, using their BaxSaver or Economy freight services. BaxSaver generally gets to any U.S. destination in 3 days....Economy 7 or 8 days. Other issues to save you money: Ship 2 or 3 in one order, because much of what you are paying is for a minimum rate, and
a 2nd or 3rd antenna, especially something like a 7.5 foot model is not that much more. Bring them to the nearest BAX Global office for transport, and have them delivered to a commercial address near one of their offices---or hold for pickup at their nearest delivery terminal. These suggestions will avoid added charges for Residential Delivery and Rural Delivery.

Many major truck lines can do the same, but penalties are much higher for residential and rural service. BAX seems to be the most reasonable for 1 or 2 antennas, in my experience. Get a retail quote by putting in the box dimensions and weight on their rate calculator at BAXGlobal.com - Welcome to BAX Global

Mike's suggestion is probably the best solution.

You could get organized and those of who want one could chip in for truck rental and fuel to bring some of them to major distribution points throughout the country where they could be picked up by individuals.

If I had a pickup truck I would have already made plans to do just that. But like a dummy I sold my truck and bought a little SUV to save on gas. If I would have had a truck I would have already made plans to go get the dishes and then we could make plans to have each member who wants a dish to drive to wherever we decide to divy them up. South Carolina is a beautiful place ANY time of year for a road trip.

I can see it now...a big assed u-haul truck in the parking lot of a truck stop, a bunch of guys huddled around drooling over the open back of a a truck, cash changing hands....we'd all have explaining to do if a cop came by...:D

Mike's suggestion is probably the best solution.

You could get organized and those of who want one could chip in for truck rental and fuel to bring some of them to major distribution points throughout the country where they could be picked up by individuals.

I can see it now...a big assed u-haul truck in the parking lot of a truck stop, a bunch of guys huddled around drooling over the open back of a a truck, cash changing hands....we'd all have explaining to do if a cop came by..
I can picture that in my mind Stogie. :)

You are right, if I was a little younger, in better health, and had a truck, we would already have some of them in the Midwest. :D

I have the time, I have the ( relative) health. I don't have the money. :)

I just checked on the Enterprise rent a car site and I can rent a full sized van for 120.00 for the weekend, unlimited mileage.

What we need now is for Brother Chefwan to tell us how big each dish is in the box. So we know if a van can haul them. In other words if I light out of here with a full size van with cigar smoke trailing out the windows...will all the dishes fit? :cool:

What we need now is for Brother Chefwan to tell us how big each dish is in the box. So we know if a van can haul them.
With the experience I have had hauling them broken down in my Aeorostar XL van, I could haul two complete 7.5 footers in it.

With a full size cargo van, you should be able to fit 2 complete 10 footers, and 2 7.5 footers or maybe 3 7.5 footers in it.
In other words if I light out of here with a full size van with cigar smoke trailing out the windows...will all the dishes fit?
That is a picture I would like to see. :)

We'll wait on brother chefwan to give us the real scoop.

With the experience I have had hauling them broken down in my Aeorostar XL van, I could haul two complete 7.5 footers in it.

With a full size cargo van, you should be able to fit 2 complete 10 footers, and 2 7.5 footers or maybe 3 7.5 footers in it.

That is a picture I would like to see. :)

We'll wait on brother chefwan to give us the real scoop.

Well I just checked the Enterprise site and there is NO SMOKING in their cars. So Enterprise can bite me.

Penske is actually cheaper. Go figure. I can get a 10 foot truck from them cheaper than the van from Enterprise.

Gas is gonna be the issue, fellas. Most of them have 35 gallon tanks and get about 10mpg, I've been told. Yikes. So thats a c-note every time I pull up to the pump.

If we all split the costs, I am willing to do this. I have the time, I have the will.

Last edited:
So a thousand mile trip will be approx. $600.00 in fuel plus the cost of the truck and Stogies eats and cigars. Plus a possible overnight in a Motel. :)

Minimum of $700.00.

Divided by how many dishes he can fit in the truck.

That gets them to the middle part of the country.

Then the cost of driving to wherever Stogie decides will be the meeting place.

I think we had better wait on the facts and figures from
BAXGlobal.com - Welcome to BAX Global
as Mike suggested.

Could be a lot less expensive in the long run.

Well, when I was looking at the SAMI dishes they wanted 260.00 to ship ONE to my door.

Depending on where everybody is, I figure somewhere in North Mississippi would be a good, central spot. Most of us are in Arkansas,Louisiana, Missouri....Maybe meet in Memphis, TN? If we do this we need to pick a central spot for all of us...I realize that I am going to be doing more driving than anyone, but, hey, like I said, I like to drive, I got all kinds of time. As far as lodging and eats I can cover that for myself. I have cigar smoking buddies all over the south where I can stay for free, if I have to, and relatives in Montgomery, AL.
If you think satGuys are close knit you should hang out with some of my cigar buddies...:)

Well, when I was looking at the SAMI dishes they wanted 260.00 to ship ONE to my door.
That's probably as close a good figure as we are probably going to get on shipping to an individual.

If we can get brother chefwan to tell us the measurements of the various boxes, we can determine how many of the various sizes will fit in the van.

Then figure out how many people in the Midwest wants one and divide up the costs between us.

Memphis would be fine by me. I think I can do that. :)

How much did chefwan say he wanted for them in the beginning of this thread? Found it!
agree. with you but these are new dish's the ones u find arent new. these have never been put up at all. that's the difference. lol im charging 20 plus shipping Which is CHEAP for a new dish never installed...

Come on Chefwan with the measurements. :)

Looking at Google maps I think Huntsville, AL is gonna be a pretty central point for all of us. Although I dont know where all of us on the list are. I know George is in AR, and turbosat is in central AL, me in South LA, Fred what part of Mo are you in?

Columbia, SC, is 647 miles from my doorstep. Wow.

Fred what part of Mo are you in?
I am about 40 NNW of the St. Louis airport.

Crap!
I just got an email from a guy off Craig's list, and I called him. He has a brand new in the box KTI 7.5 foot dish that he wants $125.00 for.

I am going to go look this afternoon, so I might be out of the market shortly for one of these. :(

Hey there's no guarantee we're gonna pull ANY of this off, anyway. Lotsa time and money for ALL of us. If I could get a new dish locally darn straight I would. :)

Although Brother Chefwan will have 21 c-band dishes if we don't go get any! :D

He has a brand new in the box KTI 7.5 foot dish that he wants $125.00 for.
Well it wasn't a whole dish.

He used to be an installer, and had some stuff in his garage attic. When he started hauling the dish out, he remembered that he sold the mounting ring and cap a couple of years ago.

It wasn't all bad though.

I did get the 4 sections of the reflector and support arms along with 1500 feet of good quality RG6 cable, 65 feet of ribbon cable, and 2 waterproof cable boxes, all brand new for $40.00. :)

Just have to find a mounting ring/cap to fit it. Shouldn't be too hard to do. Or if someone needs sections for a 7.5 foot KTI dish, I have them. :D

guys i got bad new's i dont think im going to sell the dish's i just dont want to keep up with everyone's money and i dont have time with tax's already started i own my own business doing income tax's with is a headache. but the good thing is. u make enough money to live all the rest of the year after april lol...after april if anyone really wants one. ill do my best to get them to you. but right now isnt the time i hope no one has ne hard feelings towards me. but im sorry

I can wait, its too cold up here in NY to fool around with dishes anyway.
Keep my name on the list for 10 footer.

thanx

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)