Had a run-in with a biased installer...

crash331

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
Happened a few days ago when he installed Voom. he was on the roof and I was helping him with cables and such when he said "You know, Voom is going out of business soon."

I was like "We'll see, I have been following the news pretty closely."

Then he said "I don't know why you don't stick with Direct TV. They are going to be adding 1500 HD channels in the next 3 months."

I tried hard not to laugh, but I had to go inside and act like I was fixing something to drink.

Man, that's tacky. I doubt if it'll do much good, but you might want to call Voom/Installs,Inc. to let them know what the guy they're paying to install their product had to say. Even if he thinks he's doing you a favor, it's quite unprofessional IMO.

Yeah, good install. Everything works fine, although all he really did was bolt the dish up. I already had an OTA cable ran and he just diplexed that. He didn't give me an OTA antenna because I already had one, but I was under the impression that I got one anyway. He said I could call and get voom to give me an 8bay bowtie. I have a VHF/UHF combo right now, but I found out that I don't need VHF, so I was going to buy an 8bay bowtie anyway.

crash331, I'll admit I have a suspicious nature, but if you do decide to talk to Voom/Installs about this installer, I think you should let them know he didn't give you the OTA antenna that I'm sure Voom paid for. The cost of that antenna went into somebody's pocket!

Glad you're up and running though! Vicki :)

I would report that install company and installer to Voom. They are paying him to install not to bash the company.

Anti-VOOM attitude aside, hopefully the installer left behind the basic Winegard antenna since, technically, it is part of the install and you may be asked to return the antenna should you decide to terminate service. Also, while your local digitals may currently be UHF, there is a good possibility that one or more your locals broadcasters may wish to move to their VHF channel if available. I would keep the UHF/VHF antenna.

Nope, he didn't leave the antenna that fits over the dish. I don't mind since I am 60 miles from DMA so it won't pick up squat. He said if I called Voom, they would authorize a bigger antenna, though.

1500 hd channels

I would have told the installer that is about a joke and a half 1500 channels in three or four months maybe in three years!

"crash331, didn't realize you just got installed. See my...

crash331 said:
Happened a few days ago when he installed Voom. he was on the roof and I was helping him with cables and such when he said "You know, Voom is going out of business soon."

Then he said "I don't know why you don't stick with Direct TV. They are going to be adding 1500 HD channels in the next 3 months."

I tried hard not to laugh, but I had to go inside and act like I was fixing something to drink.

post to you under the 24 Inch Install. And remember as one poster said you could be liable if you decide to quit VOOM and they want their "antenna" back.

Welcome to VOOMing and hope all goes well with your signal level.

Yep, still suffering Seattle heat and enjoying HDTV, Gill

crash331 said:

crash331 ,
i will send you pm with email address to send this to .

I CAN JUST TELL YOU THAT 2/23/05 WE ALL GOT A MEMO THAT THIS TYPE OF ACTION WILL NOT BE TOLRATED AND ACTION WILL BE TAKING ON ANYONE GOING TO A INSTALLTION AND NOT REPERSENTING THE COMPANY THAT THEY ARE TO INSTALL.

SO YES YOU NEED TO COMPLAIN TO THE RIGHT PEOPLE.

TYORK.

tyork is correct all installers got a memo the end of feb that said no up selling or off selling and the install co, installsinc threatened termination of the contract. the memo , though, was not exclusive to voom installs. it covered all installs, directv, voom, dish, home theater, xm and sirius. you are paid to install that system, install to the best of your ability, be polite and professional, leave, get paid. one thing though, if i am doing a voom or dish de install, once that cx signs the work order and i have the eq, i DO hand them a flyer about an affilliate for directv.
another note , that tech should have left the antenna, it is just the ethical thing to do, as far as de installs go , the logistics company only wants us to return the receiver and card, the tech would wind up with the ota antenna anyway.

dragon

dragon002...maybe this post explains your puzzling questions to me in this thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=57315. Mayhaps I gave you just a little too much benefit of the doubt when I replied there.

Sounds to me like even though you may say you play it by the book on installs...it's apparent to me that you still try to promote your own agenda in the end. I can't help but go on to wonder how much you may help the possibility of a de-install along the way.

How much do you get paid, per flyer...or do you only get paid if you succeed in the switch?

It is decent of you to say that the tech should have left the anetnna. Vicki

vicki,

i have been doing dbs installs for 5 years come 3.20.05, i pride myself on my work. im installing two families in morgantown wv that had installs pegged out two weeks and they will be done correctly and professionally, and yes they are voom. one 1 box install , one 1 box movers install and one 1 box equipment pickup, who already asked me to leave the mast and wiring so he could go to another sat operator, that is fine with me.
so now what are you suggesting? i drive 70 miles and convince him that voom is the best thing next to corn flakes and convince him into keeping it? and screw my self out of the recovery fee , NOPE. told you last time im in it for the pay....period! im not here to promote voom or directv or di.......oh ..forget that one
again, i do a quality job at all installs and if im asked what i think, i tell the sub, "im not allowed to get involved"

i do not care if voom does or does not make it, makes no difference to me, im here to install correctly and make $$.

one more thing, you seem to think that there should be installers that do only voom, 1.5 years how many installs????????????? they would all be on food stamps, or bankrupt

crash331 said:
Nope, he didn't leave the antenna that fits over the dish. I don't mind since I am 60 miles from DMA so it won't pick up squat. He said if I called Voom, they would authorize a bigger antenna, though.

And yes he should have left you the antenna .

tyork,
if the cx pays me for a separate run from the ota , i give them the outside diplexer, that way my conscience is clear.
the diplexer is not mine and neither is that antenna
dragon

dragon002 said:
tyork,
if the cx pays me for a separate run from the ota , i give them the outside diplexer, that way my conscience is clear.
the diplexer is not mine and neither is that antenna
dragon

well Dragon002,
That is where we differ i guess cause First off when i go to a customer home .
I am there to make them happy so if they want a separate line run i do if for free and yes i do try to get them to use the diplexer but if they insist on a separte line that is what i do. And 2 I don't care if they pay you are not all that stuff comes with there install and if they don't use it that is up to them but is comes with there install so they should get it.

Tyork

TYORK said:
well Dragon002,
That is where we differ i guess cause First off when i go to a customer home .
I am there to make them happy so if they want a separate line run i do if for free and yes i do try to get them to use the diplexer but if they insist on a separte line that is what i do. And 2 I don't care if they pay you are not all that stuff comes with there install and if they don't use it that is up to them but is comes with there install so they should get it.

Tyork

no tyork , you are there to make money , for you and your family. you are there to provide a service the way it was contracted to you. does your coax come free to you?? mine does not, and if yours does you are an employee not a contractor, but wait!!! you told me on the phone that you do directv and dish also, so by vickis way of thinking you are suspect also!!!???!!!??

my my she installs all three , same as me!!!!

dragon

dragon002 said:
no tyork , you are there to make money , for you and your family. you are there to provide a service the way it was contracted to you. does your coax come free to you?? mine does not, and if yours does you are an employee not a contractor, but wait!!! you told me on the phone that you do directv and dish also, so by vickis way of thinking you are suspect also!!!???!!!??

dragon

No dragon my coax is not free i have to buy it , and yes it do install D and E also but again where we differ is if i am on a voom job i am working for voom so no i don't try to sell them a D or E and if i am on a D install i don't try to get them to E or voom and if i am on a E install i don't try to sell them D or Voom Whatever i am install at the time is what i promote i do not cross or down grade.
ANd yes i am a self Contactor. ANd suspect of what???

tyork

dragon002 said:
dragon
Again, dragon002...your agenda develops.... I still haven't seen a reply in this thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=57315 and that was where my suspicion arose. (Is that you, or someone else?)

I feel pretty sure that your cover is blown, so I suggest you save your breath. Folks can read, draw their own conclusions, and understand.

TYORK points out the differences between your M.O. and hers. People who know her don't have to be told, and newbies will learn to see, based on her history.

The same can be said for you. If you want to try to use HER to respond to ME...I suggest you try the Chit Chat forum. I'll be happy to defend myself there...where people have the choice to visit in their "spare time"...not in threads where they are trying to gain information about things pertinent to them.

Vicki

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts