Had OTA last night

satyricon553

Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
I have had voom installed for about 3 months. I didn't bother getting the antenna installed. I live 82 miles from the nearest towers that transmit digitally. I already have several antennas up on a tower in my backyard. I don't know what kind they are or what they each one is picking up. I use the to get my local analog channels.

Last night I turned it to one of the local channels to mute the sound so I could answer the phone. To my surprise, I had Leno in HD.

I am almost positive my antennas arent facing the towers that the channel is broadcast from. Why would I have gotten the signal. I believe the signal read about 20 and the quality was around 30. It cut our when it dropped below 30.

Should I be able to access theses channels since they showed up last night or was it just a fluke and I need to accept that locals will never be available to me.

I'm sure you need more info, I'll post what I know, just ask me.

My ZIP is 73620.

EDIT: obviously the channel doesn't show up now or I wouldn't be posting this message. I also had abc showing up for a little while.

It means you are getting reception. If you are able to tweak the antenna and see which one is picking up the signal, you might want to get a stronger antenna. If I were you I willl not give up and try to get them.

I currently pick up all the channels listed on antennaweb. Isn't it conceivable that one of them was transmitting digitally last night? I haven't studied up on it too much because I thought it was impossible to get them from such a great distance.

When I first thought about OTA I dismissed the thought because my analogue reception was so bad previously. That's why I went to cable 20 years ago. So when I went satillite I didn't think that the same kind of antenna that couldn't bring in analogue would work with digital. Wow, imagine my surprise when channel 28.1 the local PBS station came in clear and pristine and in HD! Now, when friends come over I go to my OTA and show them by switching from the poor analogue reception (with the same antenna) to HD digital and they too are surprised. Digitals just works better than analogue. So, happy OTA viewing!

Its very possible and if you don't think the antenna's are pointing in the correct direction you might have gotten reflections or even a bounce. Thats probably why you don't get them regularly or at specific times of the day though with the frequency used I kinda doubt its bouncing off the atmosphere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)