Hail damage to dish--leasing--who pays?

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
I am new to dish and we sometimes get horrific hail storms. I lease my 942 and the 2 dishes installed were free, so am I leasing just the 942 or also the dishes & LNB's?

What happens when there is damage to the dishes--who pays and how does it get reported? Do I need to add them to my Home Insurance?

It may depend on who you talk to. If you're a DHA customer you'd only pay the service call fee for a tech to come out, parts would be free (at least they are here). If you want you could sign up with dish for their extended protection service, $6/mo, which makes any service call at all $29 with no parts costs.

bookwalk
you must have one hell of hail storms wherever you are. We've had hail in MN and my dishes are fine. I had one blow off the roof but it held :)

Iceberg said:
bookwalk
you must have one hell of hail storms wherever you are. We've had hail in MN and my dishes are fine. I had one blow off the roof but it held :)

I live next door in South Dakota--let's hope the dishes do withstand it all--one is on the side of our house facing south and the other on a fence post just to the west (where the storms come from).

I already have the Extended warranty included in my one-year committment--but thought it was only for the 942, but if it includes the dish, then, $29 for a new dish if I needed one, I guess.

The biggest danger, since the dish on the fence post is pretty low to the ground--is when my husband mows the lawn--he throws up a rock and dings it--he's broken windshields, house siding with his wreck-less lawn-mowing--I actually fear for my life!

bookwalk said:
I live next door in South Dakota--let's hope the dishes do withstand it all--one is on the side of our house facing south and the other on a fence post just to the west (where the storms come from).

I already have the Extended warranty included in my one-year committment--but thought it was only for the 942, but if it includes the dish, then, $29 for a new dish if I needed one, I guess.

The biggest danger, since the dish on the fence post is pretty low to the ground--is when my husband mows the lawn--he throws up a rock and dings it--he's broken windshields, house siding with his wreck-less lawn-mowing--I actually fear for my life!

I've had my Dish 500 up for 4 years now with no issues due to weather
The dish that came off my roof is a 30" (Dish is 20") and that was due to me not bolting it down right :)

Do you have just one dish or two (I know Rapid City area needs two for locals...Sioux Falls is on Dish500, but a couple stations are on a separate dish)

bookwalk said:

I'd be scared too :D
Sounds like he cuts grass like my dad does.....see a twig....run it over...see a brach...run it over :D:D

bookwalk said:
When I was about 8, we were down at my family's beach house and my dad was mowing the lawn. We had an oyster-shell driveway at the time and my dad drove across it with the lawnmower running. Next thing I know, Im bleeding like a stuck pig because an oyster shell went through my legs and cut the inside of both of my legs.

If that wasn't bad enough, the first thing my mom thought to do was throw me in the salt water!! :eek:

StevenD said:
When I was about 8, we were down at my family's beach house and my dad was mowing the lawn. We had an oyster-shell driveway at the time and my dad drove across it with the lawnmower running. Next thing I know, Im bleeding like a stuck pig because an oyster shell went through my legs and cut the inside of both of my legs.

If that wasn't bad enough, the first thing my mom thought to do was throw me in the salt water!! :eek:

Ouch! Hey I know a Steve Dodds in Plano. That's where I am too. You wouldn't be him would you?

We've had a DirecTV dish mounted to our roof for almost 10 years now. It survived the 3 hurricanes last season and all the previous ones before those. No damage. Although it did get hit by lightning once and fried the lnb and receiver, that's it.

Tom_T. said:
StevenD., Congratulations for surviving growing up.
Its amazing any of us survived. You know, without all the warning labels and stuff.

Acts of GOD is not covered under any warranty that Dish Network has. However they may go ahead and replace it anyways.

Stargazer said:
Acts of GOD is not covered under any warranty that Dish Network has. However they may go ahead and replace it anyways.

Example: Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Summer 2004. Dish was BUSY down there.

David_Levin said:
I don't think I've ever herd of a dish being damaged by hail.

Anyone?

I install in Texas and I've seen Lnb's damaged by hail...somtimes chunks of the "eye" taken out from a stone hitting it just right. They'll work sometimes till they fill up with water when it rains.

If the hail stones are big enough and if they can damage cars then I am sure they can damage a dish. There would have to be a number of dings and maybe large ones before it would affect the signal much. I am not sure if Dish Network would really want to replace a dish reflector just because it got dinged up if it is still working properly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)