Hail storm damaged new dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

PKII

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
WV
On Sunday we had the worst hail storm I have ever seen in my 41 years on this planet. After it was done it looked like we had 2 inches of snow on the ground but it was hail stones.

Along with a lot of other things my brand new Fortec 6 foot dish has about 10 golf ball sized dents in it. Will this affect the signal majorly? :(

I have heard that it does affect signal. How much I don't know. Iceberg has a bent dish that fell off his table out on his deck that still works (it looks pretty bad).

I would say that if you see any degraded signal it would be mostly on ku band.
I would just take some signal readings and see if they are where you were before.

If its aluminum mesh the smaller dents can be pushed out from behind.
carve a chunk of wood for the inside the same a dish curvature to hold on the inside at same time your pushing up.
This will require 2 people.
Large dents can be removed by heating with a heat gun and dollying and quickly applying a wet rag on it while still pushing.
Keep in mind the metal has been stretched

You might also try getting a 5" Rubber Sanding Block from your local auto store, there used for body work, it's flat on the bottom and curved for your hand and the one I have is made out of heavy rubber, cost about $7.00. That's what I've used to removed damage from the dish that I have up.

I have heard that it does affect signal. How much I don't know. Iceberg has a bent dish that fell off his table out on his deck that still works (it looks pretty bad).

I would say that if you see any degraded signal it would be mostly on ku band.
I would just take some signal readings and see if they are where you were before.
Thats the problem I haven't found Ku yet. I gonna have trouble when I start looking. :( C band don't look no different.

Its a steel dish.

You might also try getting a 5" Rubber Sanding Block from your local auto store, there used for body work, it's flat on the bottom and curved for your hand and the one I have is made out of heavy rubber, cost about $7.00. That's what I've used to removed damage from the dish that I have up.
Ok Thanks I will try that. :)

Sorry for your problem with the hail. What sort of deductable do you have on your house insurance? Perhaps they'll buy you a new dish?

Yet another reason to reuse old Primestar dishes!

You could bounce baseballs off them, and still not dent them!

Sorry for your problem with the hail. What sort of deductable do you have on your house insurance? Perhaps they'll buy you a new dish?

Yet another reason to reuse old Primestar dishes!

You could bounce baseballs off them, and still not dent them!
We had a lot of other damage too insurance person suppose to come today. I hope it pays a lot. We have a $500 deductable however the house roof was damaged a long with the garage so. Maybe enough to cover a new dish. :)

Humm...we need the entire roof shingles replaced of house and garage. He is outside figuring the amount right now. :D .....humm.... got enough for a new 12 foot dish. ;)

Last edited:
hmm. dents must have helped. :D Just found Ku band signals for the first time. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts