HallmarkHD Feed Being Used For SD Feed

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Won't happen. Fewer and fewer of the channels have a cropped SD feed. They don't think it's worth the money, for an ever-decreasing SD market.

Well, DirecTV needs to crop it for the SD customers just like they do with the local channels.

Well, DirecTV needs to crop it for the SD customers just like they do with the local channels.

Some locals have the same issue. The station can apparently make the decision. And there are many complaints about the cropped version, losing parts of the picture.

But why is there a feed for the sd channel of 312 on 101? And why doesn't the hd logo show on 312 sd if it's really the same feed?

The HD logo is only there when there are pillars. The picture shows that the HD logo displays on the SD channel.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I was just looking at the sd feed, and there is no hd logo on it.

Because the SD feed is Center Cut from the HD feed. So you loose the wings of the HD feed on the SD side.

So the bars I'm seeing on the sd feed aren't in the signal, they are produced by my tv? That would make sense.

Because the SD feed is Center Cut from the HD feed. So you loose the wings of the HD feed on the SD side.

which totally contradicts what the OP said. If you look at the pic in the 1st post there is clearly a "HD" logo in the corner which hallmark does to the HD feed if the program is not in HD.

But why is there a feed for the sd channel of 312 on 101? And why doesn't the hd logo show on 312 sd if it's really the same feed?
It's the CONTENT that is the same...
The HD logo is added as part of the HD channel pillars.

I think we might be all saying the same thing without realizing it. Either way, the fact that there IS a SD channel on 312 is the real issue. SD programming is so inconsistently delivered, as this shows. Sometimes, they "Forget" to center cut it, so the HD logo shows on the SD channel. I have locals that do this. The OTA version of the channel on two of my CBS stations has their channel logo on the lower right, in the "HD wing". It is on-screen during syndicated and ACC Network programming. It appears on the HD version of the Directv feed, too, of course. If you watch the SD version of the channels, sometimes the SD version is window boxed (16:9 in a 4:3 displayed on a 16:9 screen) and you can see the logo. Other times, it's chopped (4:3 on a 16:9 screen) on the SD version, but you can't see the logo because the logo is in the "HD wing" of the picture. In fact, on WDBJ 7 Roanoke VA, with the SD version on Directv, you can see the edge of the "7" logo that is supposed to be cut off.

I just turned on 312 HD feed and there is a "HD" logo in the black bars
when you turn to 312 SD feed it fills the whole screen. no "HD" in the corner which contradicts what the OP is showing

I just turned on 312 HD feed and there is a "HD" logo in the black bars
when you turn to 312 SD feed it fills the whole screen. no "HD" in the corner which contradicts what the OP is showing

There are times when the SD version of the channel is simply the HD channel window boxed on the screen. The logo shows then. It's not all the time, as I said, but I have seen that at my parents house at times before they upgraded to HD.

That's why I suspect this is being done by Hallmark not by DirecTV. They are taking the picture and adding the "HD" only on the HD channel. The SD channel carries the same picture without the HD logo.

I've checked the SD Hallmark channel a few times today. Sometimes it's real SD, sometimes it's the HD picture in the 4:3 frame.

Lyngsat data is often outdated.

not in this case. There are 2 separate digital signals - one containing hallmark SD east and west and the other digital signal containing hallmark HD east and west.

Since they are separate signals, you can't output SD and HD at the headend from the same receiver, you need two. I assume DIRECTV finds it easier to tune the HD digital signal on AMC-11 and have the receiver convert the HD signal to a SD channel within the downlink receiver than to use a second downlink receiver to get the SD feed.

It's a SD feed regardless what is shown on the channel logo, although most of the time when watching a SD equivalent channel, It just show the regular channel logo with no HD on the side. (ie. ESPN. TNT TBS. MTV. etc etc)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like I said, I think we are all saying the same thing...
YES... there are separate HD and SD feeds uplinked...
YES... there are separate HD and SD channels for the regular Hallmark Channel on Directv.
YES... the SD version of the channel is identical to the HD. Sometimes, it's chopped, sometimes it's letterboxed.
Somebody somewhere is taking the HD feed of the channel and "creating" an SD feed and something is supposed to tell it when to chop. Personally, I think it's Directv only because that is how many locals are created. Many local channels will confirm to you that they only send one HD feed to providers and they are the ones who alter it to create SD feeds. But, at the end of the day, Hallmark SD is Hallmark HD downgraded to an SD signal in a varying aspect ratio, regardless if Directv or Hallmark is doing it.

This not always the same process that most channels use, as others have listed. ESPN HD and SD are the same, that's why ESPN stopped writing "ESPNHD" in the wings when they went to all 16:9 graphics. But when the "HD" is shown on the SD channel, it's probably Directv.

Last edited:
Like I said, I think we are all saying the same thing...
YES... there are separate HD and SD feeds uplinked...
YES... there are separate HD and SD channels for the regular Hallmark Channel on Directv.
YES... the SD version of the channel is identical to the HD. Sometimes, it's chopped, sometimes it's letterboxed.
Somebody somewhere is taking the HD feed of the channel and "creating" an SD feed and something is supposed to tell it when to chop. Personally, I think it's Directv only because that is how many locals are created. Many local channels will confirm to you that they only send one HD feed to providers and they are the ones who alter it to create SD feeds. But, at the end of the day, Hallmark SD is Hallmark HD downgraded to an SD signal in a varying aspect ratio, regardless if Directv or Hallmark is doing it.

This not always the same process that most channels use, as others have listed. ESPN HD and SD are the same, that's why ESPN stopped writing "ESPNHD" in the wings when they went to all 16:9 graphics. But when the "HD" is shown on the SD channel, it's probably Directv.

Yes, good overview.
Historically the non-local channels delivered two feeds to DirecTV, one HD and one SD, I think most of them still do this, even if the content is the same. Locals are different, because once all the locals went digital there was only one version of the channel - remember many (most) of the locals are received at the DirecTV Local Receive Facility off-air, so the station can't create two versions. So whatever is done to create the SD version of locals (in principle either letterboxed or cropped) it's done by DirecTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts