Hard Drive Bargain Watch

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Well, since Charlie confirmed that USB support is imminent, why not let us start a "bargain watch" for 500 GB external drives. Kind of like CD Freaks Bargain Basement. If any of us spots good deals at national retailers or online stores, put the word out and let's go shopping!

These days I avoid rebates - or at least I don't include them in the price that I am paying mentally.

What brands of drive does E* use as internal replacements ?

What I'd like is a suggestion on a top quality 500 or 750, at a reasonable price. And ready to go, in the case, just plug it in.

I'm more interested in buying a drive that will last many years than one that is the cheapest I can find.

I know that while experimenting with the SA8300 esata drives, the Western Digital Caviars(7200rpm) were highly reliably in video playback. I think Ill be sticking with a WD 7200rpm when I buy mine.

What I'd like is a suggestion on a top quality 500 or 750, at a reasonable price. And ready to go, in the case, just plug it in.

I'm more interested in buying a drive that will last many years than one that is the cheapest I can find.

Very true.

I liek pricewatch also, but have been so happy with newegg I check them first.

These days I avoid rebates - or at least I don't include them in the price that I am paying mentally.

What brands of drive does E* use as internal replacements ?

That's a shame (about the rebates). With the internet, a lot of rebates (Staples) you can do online and never even have to send in a thing. I have had extremely good luck with every rebate that I have sent in the past year or more. I still avoid Circuit City - I don't know if they have changed but it used to take forever to get their rebates.

What I'd like is a suggestion on a top quality 500 or 750, at a reasonable price.
Currently, 500gb looks like the "sweet spot" in terms of gb/$... 750 seems to be somewhat more expensive per gb.

In fact, in the long-term, rather than going for bigger drives, I would be more inclined to buy multiple 500gb drives - because then, if one drive fails, you only lose some of your movies and shows - not all of them.

They both do well overall.

I personally steer towards Tiger DIrect as I usually get 1 day service with no taxes if I ship to my wife's office.

Best,

I have not ordered from them for awhile, are they pretty good about getting out same/next day. Newegg does have a $2.99 rush fee I never pay and sometimes my product does not go out the next day which kinda irks me.

Just add your own USB enclosure.

Well, since Charlie confirmed that USB support is imminent, why not let us start a "bargain watch" for 500 GB external drives. Kind of like CD Freaks Bargain Basement. If any of us spots good deals at national retailers or online stores, put the word out and let's go shopping!

From Hot Deals Club
Outpost.com - 500GB Serial-ATA Hard Drive for $100
Maxtor L01F500 500GB Serial-ATA Hard Drive with 3 year warranty for $100 with free shipping. That comes to $0.20 per GB, a very good deal.
Hot Deals Club - updated many times daily with the best deals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)