Hard drive swapping between 942's??

Gary Murrell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
Prestonsburg, KY
Can anyone give me a quick yes or no as to if the 942 encrypt recording's to that particular single box only, in other words preventing swapping of hard drives between 942 units

I know that the 522 has confirmed to not do this but was wondering about the 942

I am preparing to setup hard drive swaping in my 942 unit and was interested in obtaining a second 942 to use as playback of dvr recording's only

I have no interest of cracking/hacking or doing anything wrong, I jsut want to be able to swap drives between 942's

thanks guys

-Gary

I seriously doubt that would work. :(

I am not positive about the 942, but for the other dish receivers, E* has used a complicated method of marrying the drive to the receiver so that you cannot simply swap them. There is information in the newsgroups (dishmod, dishrip) explaining how to do what you want...but once you see what is required, I do think that you will attempt this.

The 522 allows hard drive swapping very easily, the 942 is a 522 with HDTV capability

I have already had success at every experiment i have tried, including slapping brand new unpartitioned unformatted hard drives in the 942, it formats them and partion's them in 2 shakes, everything is working fine and if i am confined to one unit then so be it, I would bet money though that the swapping would work just fine

the 921 is the receiver that prevented swapping, i bet the 942 will work, if it didn't dish would not be able to release additional hard drives like they said they were planning

what if someone had a archive of add on hard drives and the unit went up in smoke, how would dish explain "ah too bad they won't play on another 942", how can they replace a archive of content that would be priceless to the owner??

-Gary

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts