Hardware needed for adding a wing dish to get HD locals?

TalonDancer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Dish says they will be out Sat afternoon to add a wing dish (for the newly available Austin HD Locals on 61.5) to my Dish 1000 (110/119/129) which is attached to a ViP622 w/ 1 HD TV*.

What hardware is really needed? Can this be done with one wire in and no switch? Can they just 'daisy chain' the two dishes together?

I know many people list DPP44 switches when they have multiple dishes. But they seem to always have multiple TVs too.

Thanks in Advance - Talon Dancer

* We will never want more than 1 TV on this install for our one room cabin. We don't have room for more than one TV. In fact, our "HD TV" is a 24" LCD monitor for a PowerMac most of the time :)

Edit: OOPs I posted in the wrong forum, Please move it to the HD forum - thanks.

Last edited:
do you have a 1000 or 1000.2? if you have a 1000(dpp twin + single) i would think they would just pop in a 1000.2 triple which has an input for another orbital location. No switch would be needed with your set up

do you have a 1000 or 1000.2? if you have a 1000(dpp twin + single) i would think they would just pop in a 1000.2 triple which has an input for another orbital location. No switch would be needed with your set up
Thanks. That sounds good.

I was told it was a Dish 1000. It was installed in June of 2006. I think that was before the 1000.2 were released. But maybe it was close to the same time frame. Is there an easy way to actually check which one I have?

In the System Info page in box H "Device: DPP Twin, Twin(1), Twin(2), Dual(3)"

Talon Dancer

Thanks for the link. I didn't think to search in that forum- DUH.

I looks like I have a regular Dish 1000. So I guess they will need to swap LNBs or add a switch. Where is a DPP44 switch located? In the building or inside the LNB?

Talon Dancer

You can place any switch outside or inside. I prefer to have them inside but they are designed for outside too. Most likely they will replace the 1000 with a 1000.2 and add the wing dish for 61.5. The DPP44 switch is more expensive so I doubt they'll go that route but anything is possible.

You can place any switch outside or inside. I prefer to have them inside but they are designed for outside too. Most likely they will replace the 1000 with a 1000.2 and add the wing dish for 61.5. The DPP44 switch is more expensive so I doubt they'll go that route but anything is possible.
Thanks. I guess I'll just see what they bring on the truck. Hopefully they'll just swap the LNBs and stick a dish on the existing extra dish mount (from when I had WildBlue). Hope they bring an adapter. I'd like to keep the holes in my metal roof to a minumum.

Talon Dancer

I can tell you what just happened to me with adding a Wing Dish.

For me he bolted on a Dish 500 at the front of my house and pointed it at 61.5, asked which wires on the side of my house were in use, and daisy chained the dish 500 to the existing HD Dish at the back of my house. Ran a check switch and closed the work order. 2 minutes later the channels showed up. Signature, off to my Folks.

Folks house: Had to replace the HD dish because it was "old" (I'm guessing it was the 1000, not 1000.2 like I had. Which according to my folks looked exactly the same.) free of charge. Added the Dish 500 pointed at 61.5. Check switch and reset the 622 and 722, Austin HD locals!

I can tell you what just happened to me with adding a Wing Dish....
Thanks for the first hand experience info. Hopefully the Dish folks still have one of the Dish 1000.2s on the truck when they show up tomorrow :)

Talon Dancer

the way dish builds the work orders it will probally state something like
orbital install 61.5
hardware required 20 inch dish, dish pro dual, dpp44switch(because of the 4 orbitals)
but the installer will more than likely use a 1000.2(but that depends on the installer)

the way dish builds the work orders it will probally state something like
orbital install 61.5
hardware required 20 inch dish, dish pro dual, dpp44switch(because of the 4 orbitals)
but the installer will more than likely use a 1000.2(but that depends on the installer)

what would my work order likely look like since i have a 1000+ (already have dpp44) with two 622s feeding a total of 4 rooms, and am needing 61.5 added for new Austin locals...that's 5 orbitals...thanks.

Well our birds now have a Dish bird bath too. And OBTW we finally have our Austin Locals in HD :)

Thanks Dish! But more importantly, thanks to Scott and all the helpful folks on SatelliteGuys.US :)

The Dish tech swapped out the "old" Dish 1000 for a Dish 1000.2 and added a Dish 500 for 61.5. He installed the Dish 500 (61.5) on the old Dish 1000 mount and moved the Dish 1000.2 west to the old WildBlue location to avoid it blocking the signal from 61.5. This makes it a little more vulnerable to tree interference on 129, which now has a little lower signal strength than before. I'll trim the tree if it turns into a real problem but...

Since almost everything on 129 is also on 61.5, is there an easy way to force the ViP622 to use 61.5?

Talon Dancer

"Since almost everything on 129 is also on 61.5, is there an easy way to force the ViP622 to use 61.5?"

Unfortunately, no. The receiver will choose either sat randomly. You could trim the tree and if that doesn't help, you may want to try re-peaking the 1000.2 dish. It might just need a little adjustment.

what would my work order likely look like since i have a 1000+ (already have dpp44) with two 622s feeding a total of 4 rooms, and am needing 61.5 added for new Austin locals...that's 5 orbitals...thanks.

The only way to have 5 orbital locations is to use a DP21 per tuner. In your case it gets a little difficult because you have 2 dual tuners. So in your case you'll need 2 DP21s per 622 but since the dish pointing at 61.5 will only have two outputs (dual DP lnb), the installer may use a couple of satellite splitters to split each output giving you the 4 outputs needed for 61.5.

You'll need an extra dish for 61.5 with a DP Dual LNB, 4 DP21s and a couple of DP approved splitters.

Something similar to this picture but instead of the inputs will come from the DPP44 and not the DP Twin that's shown on the picture.

http://rweb.echostar.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/images/tech/splitter02.gif

"Since almost everything on 129 is also on 61.5, is there an easy way to force the ViP622 to use 61.5?"

Unfortunately, no. The receiver will choose either sat randomly. You could trim the tree and if that doesn't help, you may want to try re-peaking the 1000.2 dish. It might just need a little adjustment.
Thanks. That's what I thought I had read previously. Oh well, the important thing is to get the equipment installed. I can always tweak it (or the tree) later if required.

Thanks again to all who have shared their knowledge and experiences.

Talon Dancer

If you think that 129 is not up to par and you would rather receive service from 61.5, cover the lense of the triple with a metal can......129 is received on the left as you look the way that the dish points. Your wing dish should already be connected to the 4th port on the far right. If the installer used a DP single on the dish 500 with a single adapter to allow 0 skew and prime focus alignment, your receivers should work on 61.5-110-119 x129. Might need to perform a check switch test if you cover the 129 lense.

If you think that 129 is not up to par and you would rather receive service from 61.5, cover the lense of the triple with a metal can......129 is received on the left as you look the way that the dish points. Your wing dish should already be connected to the 4th port on the far right. If the installer used a DP single on the dish 500 with a single adapter to allow 0 skew and prime focus alignment, your receivers should work on 61.5-110-119 x129. Might need to perform a check switch test if you cover the 129 lense.

That is if he doesn't need 129 for RSN or maybe locals channels. I don't know and haven't checked but the OP will know if he needs 129.