hardware recommendations coming from directv

enricong

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I've been out of contract on directv for several years. I am getting roofing work done and they will be removing my dish so I'll have to get someone out to reinstall it.

I figure since I'm out of contract, I'm in a good position to negotiate for new equipment + install since I can just as easily goto DISH. OR, I'll just switch to DISH. I'd appreciate any recommendations on equipment.

I am currently using the secondary output to hook to a TV in my bedroom so I can watch TV there without paying extra. (I live on my own so I don't care its the same on both TVs). It's an old tube TV so I just use an RF modulator from the RCA outputs and hook it into my houses coax. I don't really have a way to run a cable up to my bedroom without tearing open my walls. Worst case, I can split the HDMI and covert it to coax I guess.

I also really like having an RF remote vs IR so that's a must too.

I currently can record 2 at once, it would be nice to be able to go up to 4 maybe. I can store 100hrs of HD. It seems sufficient but a little more is always nice. I don't have a 4K TV so I guess that doesnt matter to me, I'm not sure how much content there is. But its always possible I'll get one in the future.

I've been out of contract on directv for several years. I am getting roofing work done and they will be removing my dish so I'll have to get someone out to reinstall it.

I figure since I'm out of contract, I'm in a good position to negotiate for new equipment + install since I can just as easily goto DISH. OR, I'll just switch to DISH. I'd appreciate any recommendations on equipment.

I am currently using the secondary output to hook to a TV in my bedroom so I can watch TV there without paying extra. (I live on my own so I don't care its the same on both TVs). It's an old tube TV so I just use an RF modulator from the RCA outputs and hook it into my houses coax. I don't really have a way to run a cable up to my bedroom without tearing open my walls. Worst case, I can split the HDMI and covert it to coax I guess.

I also really like having an RF remote vs IR so that's a must too.

I currently can record 2 at once, it would be nice to be able to go up to 4 maybe. I can store 100hrs of HD. It seems sufficient but a little more is always nice. I don't have a 4K TV so I guess that doesnt matter to me, I'm not sure how much content there is. But its always possible I'll get one in the future.

Hopper Duo can watch or record up to 2 things from satellite at the same time, a Hopper 1 or Hopper 2 can do 3 things at the same time and a Hopper 3 can do 16 things at the same time.

The Duo is probably the same size hard drive as you have now, the Hoppers 1, 2 and 3 are much larger.

They all have yellow, white and red composite outputs on the back for your modulator.

All have RF remotes.

Reactions: charlesrshell
What do they "typically" give you when you sign up?

Dish will offer a discount on the channel package and hardware fees for 24 months. Depending on what hardware you get and how good a customer they think you are, you may have to pay some up front for more advanced hardware if they don't think you are worthy. As JSheridan suggested, a local Dish retailer can help with that. With only 2 "outlets," I wouldn't expect you to have to pay a lot to get the best hardware available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)