Hardware selection questions...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

good_ham

Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
I want to purchase D* equipment in the next few days and am hoping someone can answer a few questions about the current hardware.

- Are any of the Tivo receivers faster than the others? By that, I mean the speed of the on screen displays, menus, etc. I got a chance to see one in operation at a local retailer today and the guide data filled in like someone was hand writing it. OK, so I may be stretching it a bit, but it was slow.

- Same question for plain receivers.

- Does anyone know of somewhere I could possibly find screenshots of the different manufacturers' on screen displays? Just curious how much difference there is. I've seen a some in the past thay were horrible, but that was a long time ago.

Sorry for all the questions, but I have the pickiest wife on the entire planet. She channel surfs more than any man I know and hates to sit and wait on the TV. We already had to dump one digital cable provider for that reason and I don't want to sign up for a year of nagging. :)

Thanks in advance!

I work for DTV tech support, all DirecTiVo's are the same no matter what the manufacturer.

Most standard receivers are pretty quick as far as the guide goes, but in my exp. most people dislike Phillip receivers the most, followed by Samsung models.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will end up with the Hughes HR10-250, 2 D10's and a DirecTivo of some description. I am leaning toward the HDVR2 since the HD Tivo is a Hughes. I would guess they would be more consistent interface-wise.

Again, thanks for the input!

Also ... the DirecTV grid guide is the "slow" guide on the Tivo, it is quite terrible. If you set the option to use the TiVo Live Guide it is 100x faster and it gives better program selection format.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts