Harmony 880 and VIP 622 Revisited

We must also remember, in general, that the remote device code and receiver must be set to "1" for these universal remotes to work.

If you have a harmony, it can learn the IR codes, when you swith it to IR 2

I had to do this, as I have a 622 and 722 in the same location

A thousand apologies, but the response was directed to the OP. I only quoted your post because you referenced the ChannelPrev command, that's all...

No problemo Cosmo!

To Denisincalif: The reason that command is referref to as Pipswap is because it is the Pip function that swaps between the two tuners. If you have a pip window up you would use PiPswap to "swap" the two pictures. When you don't have a pip window open you are in effect doing the same thing, swapping the two tuners. Again this will only work in single mode as switching to dual mode costs you any Pip functionality.

Anyway, glad to hear your remote is all set up, eljoy it!

We must also remember, in general, that the remote device code and receiver must be set to "1" for these universal remotes to work.

Thats half true, my 622 is set to code 3 and when I had the same problem as the op the troubleshooting section had me train several buttons until the harmony learned to use the code set for code 3 and then everything worked fine

imho the harmony is great because my wife can now press 1 button instead of complaining why I made everything so complicated with tv, reciever, dvd, dish.

Actually, I knew about and used the "Prev" hard button all along when I wanted to go back to a previous channel on the same tuner. The Swap function is very different. It switches which of the two satellite tuners is sent out to the TV. Using Swap, you can switch back and forth between two channels quickly (there is no retuning time). And both tuners' buffers are left undisturbed by "Swap". So, for example, if I am watching two football games at the same time, when one hits a break I Swap to the other, and can then backtrack to see what i missed. When I have caught up there, I Swap back to the first game and do the same thing. "Swap" takes full advantage of the two tuners. The "Prev" button on the Harmony, which sends the 622 "Recall" command, which the Harmony web site calls ChanPrev or something like that, actually retunes the current tuner to its last-used channel, resetting the buffer so you cannot backtrack. For my usual TV watching style, "Swap" is by far the preferable command. I almost never have a need to use "Recall" ("Prev" on the Harmony).

At any rate, last night I tried the "PiPSwap" command. As a previous poster in this thread said, that is indeed my long-lost "Swap" command. Hallejuhah! Why on earth does Logitech refer to it as PiPSwap? It bears no relation that I am aware of to "Picture-in-Picture".

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me. The Harmony 880 is now finally configured the way I want it.

SwapPIP is just what it says, it swaps PIP, just as tawhite said. I use it mostly like you, to not have to wait for the tuner to actually switch the channel. So my advice to you would to make a PIP button on the 880 as well, that way you can actually see if what you are wanting to flash over is back on, then hit SwapPIP, then just keep hitting PIP until the the old PIP goes away, or just leave it there and watch both programs at the same time.

imho the harmony is great because my wife can now press 1 button instead of complaining why I made everything so complicated with tv, reciever, dvd, dish.

:up:up:up:up:up:up:up
She has nagged me about that for years!

SwapPIP is just what it says, it swaps PIP, just as tawhite said. I use it mostly like you, to not have to wait for the tuner to actually switch the channel. So my advice to you would to make a PIP button on the 880 as well, that way you can actually see if what you are wanting to flash over is back on, then hit SwapPIP, then just keep hitting PIP until the the old PIP goes away, or just leave it there and watch both programs at the same time.

Good suggestion. PiP can be useful in that situation. But I probably won't take you up on it. I find the little window annoying, not useful. My personal preference is to hit Swap, and if I did it too early I just hit Swap again.

Years ago, before we had a 622, my wife and I were shopping for a new TV. It came down to a choice between two models. The one I liked best did not have a PiP capability. My wife insisted we get the one that did have it. She played with the PiP function once for about half an hour, and never touched it again. I never used it at all.:(

Originally Posted by dishjim
:up:up:up:up:up:up:up
She has nagged me about that for years!

+1

The whole reason I bought the Harmony was to be a stocking stuffer for my wife. Now that it is fully set up she loves it, but I was in trouble there for a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)