Harmony remote and H3

Partysox

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2016
N central Indiana
Has anybody that uses harmony IR remotes noticed that the range of the remote has changed in the last couple of updates on the H3, I have tried 3 300 harmony remotes they are all the same 15ft away working right is touch and go no obstructions they use to work at that distance flawlessly now working right is about 8ft?

I wonder where the IR sensor is on a H3 I looked and no sign of one, it's not the antenna on the back that's for the dish remotes I think. I took it off and still had IR but dish remotes would not work.

I wonder where the IR sensor is on a H3 I looked and no sign of one, it's not the antenna on the back that's for the dish remotes I think. I took it off and still had IR but dish remotes would not work.
On that subject, I have always wondered why the other Hoppers (especially the newer H3) need an antenna on the back for the Dish remotes to work, while the Wally and Hopper Duo both work just fine without an external remote antenna. (In other words, Dish built the antenna into the Wally and the Hopper Duo, so why didn't they do the same thing to the H3?)

On that subject, I have always wondered why the other Hoppers (especially the newer H3) need an antenna on the back for the Dish remotes to work, while the Wally and Hopper Duo both work just fine without an external remote antenna. (In other words, Dish built the antenna into the Wally and the Hopper Duo, so why didn't they do the same thing to the H3?)
Because the remotes are much more techie today. Things like settings storage and voice, et al....

Because the remotes are much more techie today. Things like settings storage and voice, et al....
Wally and Hopper Duo both do all of that, with the exact same remotes, but there is no need to screw an antenna onto the back of the receiver for the remotes to work, like there apparently is with the H3. I guess Dish hadn't got around to figuring out how to put the remote antenna inside the receiver when they were designing the H3.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It could be because the H3 has a metal case and the Wally and Joeys are plastic, don't have a Duo so can't answer about it.

You're complaining about having an external antenna and I want to find a way to add external antenna to my Wallys.

It could be because the H3 has a metal case and the Wally and Joeys are plastic, don't have a Duo so can't answer about it.
That makes sense. I have a Hopper Duo. I even took a Hopper Duo apart one time to salvage the internal hard drive from it, so I can confirm that the case is plastic.

You're complaining about having an external antenna and I want to find a way to add external antenna to my Wallys.
I am not complaining. I was just curious. Are your Wallys not responding well enough to the remote as is, so you think an external antenna would help?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Well it seems the problem with my harmony remotes has fixed itself[strange], I wonder does weather have anything to do with a IR signal[humidity-pressure-temp]this is just strange.

Glad your issue fixed itself. My Harmony Elite has a hub that sends the signal to the H3. It sits on top of the H3 and works flawlessly. Not sure how the IR functions since it doesn't have line of sight from emitter to receiver. Maybe it bounces off the nearby wall and is directed back. No idea. It has been working for years so I've been pleasantly surprised.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)